standalone process to interact with the web

beginner

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a way to allow a standalone python process to easily
interactive with a few web pages. It has to be able to easily receive
requests from the web and post data to the web.

I am thinking about implementing a standalone soap server, but I am
not sure which library is good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Geoffrey

Steve Holden

beginner said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a way to allow a standalone python process to easily
interactive with a few web pages. It has to be able to easily receive
requests from the web and post data to the web.

I am thinking about implementing a standalone soap server, but I am
not sure which library is good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Geoffrey
Look nor further than mechanize -

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/

With mechanize and its partner ClientForm you can rule the web world ;-)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

beginner

Hi Steve,

Look nor further than mechanize -

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/

With mechanize and its partner ClientForm you can rule the web world ;-)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

This seems to be an HTTP client library. It is very interesting, but
is not what I need. I am looking for something that can provide
service to web pages. For example, when a browser requests a web page,
the web page is going to send a few requests to my server. My server
then is going to respond, and the web page takes the response and
format it in human readable form.

Steve Holden

beginner said:
Hi Steve,

This seems to be an HTTP client library. It is very interesting, but
is not what I need. I am looking for something that can provide
service to web pages. For example, when a browser requests a web page,
the web page is going to send a few requests to my server. My server
then is going to respond, and the web page takes the response and
format it in human readable form.
Well, surely in that case you can use any protocol you like. It's up to
the web server and your "web server server" to agree how to communicate.
Take a look at the SocketServer library, for example.

regartds
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

beginner

Well, surely in that case you can use any protocol you like. It's up to
the web server and your "web server server" to agree how to communicate.
Take a look at the SocketServer library, for example.

regartds
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
----------- Thank You for Reading -------------- Hide quoted text -

Yes exactly. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel as I imagine
there are already tons of libraries and frameworks that support RPC or
the like functions.

Thanks,
Geoffrey

Diez B. Roggisch

beginner said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a way to allow a standalone python process to easily
interactive with a few web pages. It has to be able to easily receive
requests from the web and post data to the web.

I am thinking about implementing a standalone soap server, but I am
not sure which library is good.

Any suggestions?

Forget SOAP. Use XMLRPC. SOAP is bloated, not to interoperable and the last
time I checked (has been a while though) the python-implementations were
troublesome.

http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2006/11/15/the-s-stands-for-simple

Diez

Bruno Desthuilliers

beginner a écrit :
Hi Steve,

(snip)

This seems to be an HTTP client library. It is very interesting, but
is not what I need. I am looking for something that can provide
service to web pages. For example, when a browser requests a web page,
the web page is going to send a few requests to my server. My server
then is going to respond, and the web page takes the response and
format it in human readable form.

IOW, you want to embed a web server in your application.

Bruno Desthuilliers

beginner a écrit :
(snip)
Yes exactly. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel as I imagine
there are already tons of libraries and frameworks that support RPC or
the like functions.

Why go thru the pain of RPC, SOAP or such bloated horrors ? Why not just
use plain old HTTP with a RESTful API ? Then you just need to make your
app wsgi compliant.

beginner

beginner a écrit :
(snip)

Why go thru the pain of RPC, SOAP or such bloated horrors ? Why not just
use plain old HTTP with a RESTful API ? Then you just need to make your
app wsgi compliant.

I am not familiar with RESTful API. I will look into it.

Bruno Desthuilliers

beginner a écrit :
I am not familiar with RESTful API. I will look into it.
It's nothing else than the correct use of the HTTP protocol. And it's
much more simpler than all those XMLRPC, SOAP and whatnot monstruosities.

Diez B. Roggisch

Bruno said:
beginner a écrit :
It's nothing else than the correct use of the HTTP protocol. And it's
much more simpler than all those XMLRPC, SOAP and whatnot monstruosities.

While I'm with you regarding the monstrosity of SOAP, XMLRPC certainly
isn't among the crappy IPC-protocols. Using it, you get type marshalling
for some simple, yet important cases for free. Including such things as
argument-order, and ordered values. Which for example make transmitting
a dict a trivial operation of transmitting the two sequences of key/values.

I don't see that with REST.

Diez