standalone python web server

eric

Hi all,

I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just unzip
and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do it).

I've tried to write by myself, however, I find I am getting into more
details like processing image file, different file type(like FLV) ..
etc. Any recommendation or tools suggested for me?

Thanks,
Eric

Panos Laganakos

Hi all,

I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just unzip
and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do it).

I've tried to write by myself, however, I find I am getting into more
details like processing image file, different file type(like FLV) ..
etc. Any recommendation or tools suggested for me?

Thanks,
Eric

Django[1], has an internal webserver, you might wanna take a look into
it, as to how it's done. Other than that, Twisted[2], makes it pretty
easy to write one.

[1] http://www.djangoproject.com
[2] http://twistedmatrix.com

Jarek Zgoda

eric napisa³(a):
I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just unzip
and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do it).

Look at SimpleHTTPServer in standard library.
I've tried to write by myself, however, I find I am getting into more
details like processing image file, different file type(like FLV) ..
etc. Any recommendation or tools suggested for me?

You'd have to write it on your own anyway if you do not want to use
ready-made server software like lighttpd or nginx.

Bjoern Schliessmann

eric said:
I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just
unzip and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do
it).

Which OS? You might run into authorisation problems if you want it
to listen on port 80 TCP.

Regards,

Björn

eric

I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just unzip
and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do it).
I've tried to write by myself, however, I find I am getting into more
details like processing image file, different file type(like FLV) ..
etc. Any recommendation or tools suggested for me?
Thanks,
Eric

Django[1], has an internal webserver, you might wanna take a look into
it, as to how it's done. Other than that, Twisted[2], makes it pretty
easy to write one.

[1]http://www.djangoproject.com
[2]http://twistedmatrix.com

thanks.
Actually, I've considered to use django, however it required to run
command (which I don't have right to do it)
python setup.py install

Btw, is it possible to use without running setup.py ?

eric

Which OS? You might run into authorisation problems if you want it
to listen on port 80 TCP.

Regards,

Björn

I'm not planned to use port 80, cause this simple web server is
designed to monitor my set of backend server.

in googling, I find a simple python web server "SNAKELETS", it can
just unzip to run. However, this project seems stale for sometime.

Anyone know anything about it?

Diez B. Roggisch

eric said:
[...]

For such cases you can use workingenv/virtualenv to create running
python environments in directories of your choice. Then you can use the
above commandline.

Diez

Tim Chase

Actually, I've considered to use django, however it required to run
command (which I don't have right to do it)
python setup.py install

Btw, is it possible to use without running setup.py ?

Yes, it's quite possible...Django is pure Python, so you just have to
have its directory in your runtime path. I've got several machines that
have never used "setup.py install" to get Django...I just use a SVN
checkout, but an untar/gzip would do just as well.

-tkc

Markus Gritsch

Hi all,

I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just unzip
and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do it).

I've tried to write by myself, however, I find I am getting into more
details like processing image file, different file type(like FLV) ..
etc. Any recommendation or tools suggested for me?

If you do not want to use/extend SimpleHTTPServer from the standard
library and want to have something more like Django (i.e. a Web
Framework) give Gluon http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/ a try. It does not
require installation. For Windows just extract the .zip archive and
launch runme.exe. Everything is included, even Python. Same for Mac.
For Linux the source tarball requires Python 2.4 or newer.

No installation, no configuration, everything can be done from within
the browser. Watch the screencast at the Gluon homepage for a quick
overview.

Have fun,
Markus

Jason Earl

eric said:
Hi all,

I want to setup simple python web server and I want it to just unzip
and run, without any installation steps (have no right to do it).

I've tried to write by myself, however, I find I am getting into more
details like processing image file, different file type(like FLV) ..
etc. Any recommendation or tools suggested for me?

CherryPy has a built in web server that can be installed without admin
rights (it is pure Python), and can easily be configured to serve up
static files.

Just something to think about.

Jason