standalone xml library?

Noah Roberts

Does anyone know of a stand alone library that will parse xml?
Something that doesn't require an external parser to do its stuff? So
far they all want expat, xerces, or something. I need the resulting
program to be totaly cohesive and not dependant on extra shit.

Jeff Schwab

Noah said:
Does anyone know of a stand alone library that will parse xml?
Something that doesn't require an external parser to do its stuff? So
far they all want expat, xerces, or something. I need the resulting
program to be totaly cohesive and not dependant on extra shit.

Why don't you write such an entity yourself? Then there would be one.

You might want to leverage this prior work:

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/

Vince

Noah Roberts a écrit :
Does anyone know of a stand alone library that will parse xml?
Something that doesn't require an external parser to do its stuff? So
far they all want expat, xerces, or something. I need the resulting
program to be totaly cohesive and not dependant on extra shit.

libraries depending on expat are very good because they
handle MBCS and UNICODE so they can work on Win 98/2000/XP and Windows CE.
Personnaly I am currently using a xml parser from an opensource project
called TinyCad.

Some links :

http://www.xml.com/pub/rg/XML_Parsers
http://www.fxtech.com/xmlio/README.txt

Noah Roberts

Jeff said:
Why don't you write such an entity yourself? Then there would be one.

You might want to leverage this prior work:

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/

Yeah, I decided not to be lazy anymore and just go ahead and write
something to parse an ini like file structure. Shouldn't be very hard
and isn't overkill for the situation like XML pretty much is. I have
to write it twice (C++ and PHP), but whatever...once I got one figured
out the other will be a breeze.

Ivan Vecerina

Noah Roberts said:
Yeah, I decided not to be lazy anymore and just go ahead and write
something to parse an ini like file structure. Shouldn't be very hard
and isn't overkill for the situation like XML pretty much is. I have
to write it twice (C++ and PHP), but whatever...once I got one figured
out the other will be a breeze.

Don't reinvent the wheel - you're not the only one who finds XML
to be "too much".
You probably should check: http://www.json.org
And maybe take a look at this web page:
http://ivan.vecerina.com/code/datatree

I hope this helps,
Ivan

Phlip

Noah said:
Does anyone know of a stand alone library that will parse xml?
Something that doesn't require an external parser to do its stuff? So
far they all want expat, xerces, or something. I need the resulting
program to be totaly cohesive and not dependant on extra shit.

The extra shit is what makes XML useful.

(Otherwise, look at YAML, which also does not have a native C++
implementation.)

The extra shit is XPath, XSLT, schemas, locales, etc.

I find the easiest XML library to grab, for MS Windows, is #import
<msxml4.dll>, but that's because I personally find the _bstr_t and
_variant_t wrappers on COM objects easier than relying on expat or xerces.
That's just me.