    Thanks,

    James McLaughlin.

    , Oct 14, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > Does the C++ standard require implementations of C++ to contain any of
    > the "old" header files and their functionalities? (eg stdio.h,
    > iostream.h, fstream.h)
    >
    > If so, which ones?

    <stdio.h> and other 'C90' headers, declarations for C Standard Library,
    are supposed to be there. There are 18 of them:

    <assert.h> <iso646.h> <setjmp.h> <stdio.h> <wchar.h>
    <ctype.h> <limits.h> <signal.h> <stdlib.h> <wctype.h>
    <errno.h> <locale.h> <stdarg.h> <string.h>
    <float.h> <math.h> <stddef.h> <time.h>

    Old string-based streams are there too, header <strstream>.

    Both C90 headers and <strstream> are _deprecated_, IOW, are not guaranteed
    to be in the future editions of the Standard.

    No, neither <iostream.h> nor <fstream.h> (or anything of that sort) has
    ever been a standard header.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Ron Natalie Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Both C90 headers and <strstream> are _deprecated_, IOW, are not guaranteed
    > to be in the future editions of the Standard.

    Nothing is guaranteed.

    Deprecation was just a feel good operation of the standards committee
    to placate the progressive element.

    Ron Natalie, Oct 14, 2004
  4. "Ron Natalie" <> wrote in message
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >

    > > Both C90 headers and <strstream> are _deprecated_, IOW, are not

    guaranteed
    > > to be in the future editions of the Standard.
    > >

    > Nothing is guaranteed.
    >
    > Deprecation was just a feel good operation of the standards committee
    > to placate the progressive element.

    If, God forbid, the committee ever did remove strstream or C style headers
    or even static at namespace level I don't think compiler writers would take
    a blind bit of notice.

    John

    John Harrison, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Ron Natalie wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >

    >> Both C90 headers and <strstream> are _deprecated_, IOW, are not
    >> guaranteed
    >> to be in the future editions of the Standard.
    >>

    > Nothing is guaranteed.
    >
    > Deprecation was just a feel good operation of the standards committee
    > to placate the progressive element.

    And I suppose your posting a response to every of my messages is
    just a feel good operation to placate your involvement here...

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 14, 2004
  6. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message

    > And I suppose your posting a response to every of my messages is
    > just a feel good operation to placate your involvement here...

    If you ask me (and you might not), the dude can post whenever and wherever
    he wants. You're not by any means the only person he responds to, and of
    all your messages in the last seven days (not including this one), he's only
    responded to maybe four of the twenty or so. He hasn't actually said
    anything _wrong_ yet, either, although some of what he's said has been iffy.

    Eh, I just don't think that there's any call for personal attacks.

    James

    James Aguilar, Oct 14, 2004
  7. James Aguilar wrote:
    > [...]
    > Eh, I just don't think that there's any call for personal attacks.

    Personal attacks? Is that like calling you a meddling moron or
    telling you to bugger off? Hey, I am not saying that somebody
    shouldn't post (did I say that?) or calling anybody anything. Yet.

    I just think that everybody should practice what they preach.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 14, 2004
  8. JKop Guest

    > And I suppose your posting a response to every of my messages is
    > just a feel good operation to placate your involvement here...

    paranoia

    -JKop

    JKop, Oct 14, 2004
  9. Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > James Aguilar wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> Eh, I just don't think that there's any call for personal attacks.

    > Personal attacks? Is that like calling you a meddling moron or
    > telling you to bugger off? Hey, I am not saying that somebody
    > shouldn't post (did I say that?) or calling anybody anything. Yet.
    >
    > I just think that everybody should practice what they preach.

    You have been a bit "testy" lately.
    Why don't you take a break
    and let some of these other aspiring C++ gurus
    have first crack at answering questions for a while?

    E. Robert Tisdale, Oct 14, 2004