standard colour for C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by Chor Lit, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. Chor Lit

    Chor Lit Guest

    Hi,

    I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard for
    C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors to
    change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? Note that the
    proposed colour standard is not just merely to ease the eye only as
    what presently is in C++ compilers, but to aid in syntax disambiguation
    and other advantages.

    Here are a few advantages that I can think of:

    1. By allowing keywords and literals in different colours, C++ can
    introduce new keywords easily because they are now living in different
    'space'.

    2.Colours can even be used to differentiate between the operator '>'
    from the angle bracket '>' in template.

    3. Also, names such as '1ABC' and '.ABC' will be acceptable because we
    can always differentiate character '1' and '.' from thier usual type,
    no confusion.

    4. We can even drop the comment '//' and '/* */' since comment can also
    be assigned a unique colour.

    5. We can also assign a special colour to all overloaded operators to
    differentiate from normal operators and dropped the keyword 'operator'
    in the definition.

    I believe there are plenty more advantages in using colours in C++.
    There are a lot of details in C++ that I can't think of that might
    benefit from using colour scheme in C++. I hope this will spark an idea
    to the committee. What do you think ?
    Chor Lit, Jan 4, 2007

  2. Chor Lit wrote:
    > I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard for
    > C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors to
    > change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? [..]

    Everything is possible. What you're talking about, however, has nothing
    to do with the language itself, really. It has everything to do with
    products (like IDE or text editors) that exist independently of C++ as
    a language. Most of them nowadays, however, provide some kind of colour
    differentiation for elements of the language (keywords, operators,
    punctuation, types, variables, literals, etc.)

    There is no "adding colour to C++" or "standard colour for C++". C++
    is a _language_ with a bunch of syntactic and semantical rules, just
    like English. How do you set standard colour for English, for example?

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 4, 2007

  3. Chor Lit

    Geo Guest

    Chor Lit wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard for
    > C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors to
    > change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? Note that the
    > proposed colour standard is not just merely to ease the eye only as
    > what presently is in C++ compilers, but to aid in syntax disambiguation
    > and other advantages.
    >
    > Here are a few advantages that I can think of:
    >
    > 1. By allowing keywords and literals in different colours, C++ can
    > introduce new keywords easily because they are now living in different
    > 'space'.
    >
    > 2.Colours can even be used to differentiate between the operator '>'
    > from the angle bracket '>' in template.
    >
    > 3. Also, names such as '1ABC' and '.ABC' will be acceptable because we
    > can always differentiate character '1' and '.' from thier usual type,
    > no confusion.
    >
    > 4. We can even drop the comment '//' and '/* */' since comment can also
    > be assigned a unique colour.
    >
    > 5. We can also assign a special colour to all overloaded operators to
    > differentiate from normal operators and dropped the keyword 'operator'
    > in the definition.
    >
    > I believe there are plenty more advantages in using colours in C++.
    > There are a lot of details in C++ that I can't think of that might
    > benefit from using colour scheme in C++. I hope this will spark an idea
    > to the committee. What do you think ?

    And how would this work on my white on black VMS terminal ?
    Geo, Jan 4, 2007
  4. Chor Lit

    John Carson Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Chor Lit wrote:
    >> I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard
    >> for C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors
    >> to change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? [..]

    > Everything is possible. What you're talking about, however, has
    > nothing to do with the language itself, really. It has everything to
    > do with products (like IDE or text editors) that exist independently
    > of C++ as a language. Most of them nowadays, however, provide some
    > kind of colour differentiation for elements of the language
    > (keywords, operators, punctuation, types, variables, literals, etc.)
    >
    > There is no "adding colour to C++" or "standard colour for C++". C++
    > is a _language_ with a bunch of syntactic and semantical rules, just
    > like English. How do you set standard colour for English, for
    > example?

    I believe that the OP was proposing that the user have the ability to
    manually color source code and that the compiler would interpret source code
    differently depending on the color chosen. Color can in principle be as much
    a part of a language as letters.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jan 4, 2007
  5. John Carson wrote:

    > I believe that the OP was proposing that the user have the ability to
    > manually color source code and that the compiler would interpret source code
    > differently depending on the color chosen. Color can in principle be as much
    > a part of a language as letters.

    You're contradicting yourself. Either the specific /markup/ (distinct
    for "comment", "variable" etc.) is significant and stored and only
    presented in the user's color scheme. Or the actual /color/ is significant.

    In the first case the markup would become part of the language standard,
    not the color. Since everything has eventually be stored as a digital
    file, storing the markup would simply mean a change in the language,
    like tags. I don't think that would be very attractive.

    In the latter case we would all have to use the same colors which would
    have to specified with the language. I can't believe that you're
    actually contemplating this idea for just one second. What about
    developing on devices that don't support color? What about printing
    code? What about posting code to a newsgroup? Books? Photocopies?
    Microfiche? What about colors that are reserved socially/religiously in
    a given culture? What about people who are color blind? How do you even
    store the colors in a file (we're back to the tags here)? What if I
    don't like red for a comment?

    It's a joke, right?
    Eberhard Schefold, Jan 4, 2007
  6. Chor Lit

    Simon G Best Guest

    Chor Lit wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard for
    > C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors to
    > change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? Note that the
    > proposed colour standard is not just merely to ease the eye only as
    > what presently is in C++ compilers, but to aid in syntax disambiguation
    > and other advantages.

    > I believe there are plenty more advantages in using colours in C++.
    > There are a lot of details in C++ that I can't think of that might
    > benefit from using colour scheme in C++. I hope this will spark an idea
    > to the committee. What do you think ?

    Bad idea, I think, for various reasons (some of which are obvious, such
    as colour-blindness).

    One reason, that's perhaps not obvious to most people, is that it could
    actually cause confusion for those with some kinds of synesthesia. It
    would be like colour-coding the days of the week, and finding that those
    with weekday-to-colour-scheme synesthesia (such as me) tend to miss
    meetings, and turn up for meetings on the wrong days. Colour-code
    something blue, on the basis that it's going to happen on Monday, and I
    might actually miss it as a result. For me, Monday is most definitely
    red. Depending on the shade of blue, I might even turn up for it on
    Thursday!

    Simon

    --
    What happens if I mention Leader Kibo in my .signature?
    Simon G Best, Jan 4, 2007
  7. John Carson wrote:

    > I believe that the OP was proposing that the user have the ability to
    > manually color source code and that the compiler would interpret source
    > code differently depending on the color chosen. Color can in principle be
    > as much a part of a language as letters.

    Given that the source code is a stream of characters, there are no other way
    to "add color" than to codify it. There is no difference between that and
    adding keywords or punctuations.

    And if you like colors, the IDEs are already able to paint them. I see no
    substantial difference between a menu entry called "paint in green the
    selection" and other called "comment out the selection". You just need an
    option to hide the "/*" and the "*/" when syntax coloring is on, if you
    dislike to see him. Same for any other color usage. You can also draw icons
    or colored shapes in the menu entries.

    Certainly color, shape, or any other thing (even whitespace) can be used as
    syntactically significant elements. There are a bunch of esoteric
    programming languages that do. But mainstream languages use just streams of
    characters.

    And let's not forget the many types of color blindness. And monochrome
    listing devices.

    --
    Salu2
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Jan 4, 2007
  8. Chor Lit wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard for
    > C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors to
    > change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? Note that the
    > proposed colour standard is not just merely to ease the eye only as
    > what presently is in C++ compilers, but to aid in syntax disambiguation
    > and other advantages.
    >
    > Here are a few advantages that I can think of:
    >
    > 1. By allowing keywords and literals in different colours, C++ can
    > introduce new keywords easily because they are now living in different
    > 'space'.
    >
    > 2.Colours can even be used to differentiate between the operator '>'
    > from the angle bracket '>' in template.
    >
    > 3. Also, names such as '1ABC' and '.ABC' will be acceptable because we
    > can always differentiate character '1' and '.' from thier usual type,
    > no confusion.
    >
    > 4. We can even drop the comment '//' and '/* */' since comment can also
    > be assigned a unique colour.
    >
    > 5. We can also assign a special colour to all overloaded operators to
    > differentiate from normal operators and dropped the keyword 'operator'
    > in the definition.
    >
    > I believe there are plenty more advantages in using colours in C++.
    > There are a lot of details in C++ that I can't think of that might
    > benefit from using colour scheme in C++. I hope this will spark an idea
    > to the committee. What do you think ?

    I'm going to have to go ahead and get you to forget that idea.

    Thanks.
    Markus Svilans, Jan 4, 2007
  9. Chor Lit

    Max M. Guest

    Chor Lit wrote:

    > What do you think ?

    Not too funny. You should elaborate more, and write it in the form of an
    academic paper. Stroustrup's article on whitespace overloading was much
    funnier.

    Max
    Max M., Jan 4, 2007
  10. Chor Lit

    red floyd Guest

    Geo wrote:
    > Chor Lit wrote:
    >> [ill considered proposal to mandate code coloring in the Standard redacted]

    > And how would this work on my white on black VMS terminal ?

    Or for anyone who is color-blind?
    red floyd, Jan 4, 2007
  11. Chor Lit

    Kevin Hall Guest

    Eberhard Schefold wrote:
    > John Carson wrote:
    >
    > > I believe that the OP was proposing that the user have the ability to
    > > manually color source code and that the compiler would interpret source code
    > > differently depending on the color chosen. Color can in principle be as much
    > > a part of a language as letters.

    > You're contradicting yourself. Either the specific /markup/ (distinct
    > for "comment", "variable" etc.) is significant and stored and only
    > presented in the user's color scheme. Or the actual /color/ is significant.

    Well, I'm going to defend John Carson on this one. In *principle*
    color could be as much a part of the language as the letters.
    Obviously, either the C++ comittee or compiler vendors would have to
    figure out a way (or ways) to encode color into a file. And XML type
    document comes to mind.

    Now, is this a good idea? I don't think so! Is John Carson advocating
    it is a good idea? No. Does John Carson think it's a good idea?
    Well, he didn't say -- but I'm going to give him the benefit of the
    doubt and assume he thinks it is a terrible idea.

    Eberhard Schefold wrote:
    > In the first case the markup would become part of the language standard,
    > not the color. Since everything has eventually be stored as a digital
    > file, storing the markup would simply mean a change in the language,
    > like tags. I don't think that would be very attractive.
    >
    > In the latter case we would all have to use the same colors which would
    > have to specified with the language. I can't believe that you're
    > actually contemplating this idea for just one second. What about
    > developing on devices that don't support color? What about printing
    > code? What about posting code to a newsgroup? Books? Photocopies?
    > Microfiche? What about colors that are reserved socially/religiously in
    > a given culture? What about people who are color blind? How do you even
    > store the colors in a file (we're back to the tags here)? What if I
    > don't like red for a comment?

    I think we're all in agreement here! ;-)

    > It's a joke, right?

    Ask the OP!

    I don't think that John Carson was joking though. I for one agree with
    him -- it's possible. I just think it's a very bad idea.
    Kevin Hall, Jan 4, 2007
  12. Kevin Hall wrote:

    >> It's a joke, right?

    > Ask the OP!

    The OP is called Chor Lit... look for the expression "cabeza de chorlito" in
    a spanish dictionary.

    But in any case, never underestimate the power of jokes... Parrot started to
    live as an April Fool's joke ;-)

    --
    Salu2
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Jan 4, 2007
  13. Chor Lit

    John Carson Guest

    "Kevin Hall" <> wrote in message
    > Eberhard Schefold wrote:
    >> John Carson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I believe that the OP was proposing that the user have the ability
    >>> to manually color source code and that the compiler would interpret
    >>> source code differently depending on the color chosen. Color can in
    >>> principle be as much a part of a language as letters.

    >> You're contradicting yourself. Either the specific /markup/ (distinct
    >> for "comment", "variable" etc.) is significant and stored and only
    >> presented in the user's color scheme. Or the actual /color/ is
    >> significant.

    > Well, I'm going to defend John Carson on this one. In *principle*
    > color could be as much a part of the language as the letters.
    > Obviously, either the C++ comittee or compiler vendors would have to
    > figure out a way (or ways) to encode color into a file. And XML type
    > document comes to mind.
    >
    > Now, is this a good idea? I don't think so! Is John Carson
    > advocating it is a good idea? No. Does John Carson think it's a
    > good idea? Well, he didn't say -- but I'm going to give him the
    > benefit of the doubt and assume he thinks it is a terrible idea.

    Thank you. I was merely seeking to clarify the OP's intentions and pointing
    out that the use of color can be part of a language in principle. Indeed
    "color coding" is widely used to convey information (think traffic lights).
    However, I don't see it as suitable for C++ for many of the reasons already
    given in this thread.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jan 4, 2007
  14. John Carson schrieb:

    > Thank you. I was merely seeking to clarify the OP's intentions and pointing
    > out that the use of color can be part of a language in principle.

    I stand to my objection: If you allow the programmer to choose his/her
    own color scheme, it's the markup that's actually significant, not the
    color.

    > Indeed
    > "color coding" is widely used to convey information (think traffic lights).

    You get the information from traffic lights in two ways: color and/or
    position. Color is fine as redundant information when it helps you to
    pick up the information faster. But it's not a good idea to use color as
    the single means to transport information.
    Eberhard Schefold, Jan 5, 2007
  15. Chor Lit

    John Carson Guest

    "Eberhard Schefold" <> wrote in message
    > John Carson schrieb:
    >
    >> Thank you. I was merely seeking to clarify the OP's intentions and
    >> pointing out that the use of color can be part of a language in
    >> principle.

    > I stand to my objection: If you allow the programmer to choose his/her
    > own color scheme, it's the markup that's actually significant, not the
    > color.

    Good for you, but it is unclear whose views you are objecting to. Your
    comments don't appear to be relevant to mine.

    >> Indeed
    >> "color coding" is widely used to convey information (think traffic
    >> lights).

    > You get the information from traffic lights in two ways: color and/or
    > position. Color is fine as redundant information when it helps you to
    > pick up the information faster. But it's not a good idea to use color
    > as the single means to transport information.

    As I have already pointed out, I am not advocating this for C++. You are
    right that color coding is often used in conjunction with other signals, and
    there are good reasons for this. You are wrong if you are claiming that
    color is never used on its own as a signal.

    My only point was that language can in principle take many forms. Your point
    that some forms of language are more efficient and/or more widely
    intellligible than other forms of language is correct but not in conflict
    with anything I have said.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jan 5, 2007
  16. John Carson wrote:

    > Good for you, but it is unclear whose views you are objecting to. Your
    > comments don't appear to be relevant to mine.

    Yes, I realize I misunderstood both you and Victor. I thought the
    discussion was about "absolute" vs. "programmer definable" color coding.
    Sorry for the confusion.

    > As I have already pointed out, I am not advocating this for C++. You are
    > right that color coding is often used in conjunction with other signals, and
    > there are good reasons for this. You are wrong if you are claiming that
    > color is never used on its own as a signal.

    I did not claim that, I said it's a bad idea (which we all agreed to).
    Color code for electronic components, e.g. resistors, comes to mind. I
    read that up to 10% of males have difficulties discriminating red and
    green. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blind)
    Eberhard Schefold, Jan 5, 2007
  17. Chor Lit

    Chor Lit Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the feedback. Below are some of my opinion/suggested
    solutions.

    I have an idea of how to solve the difficulty for
    1.)colour-blind people
    2.)people that are using monochrome monitor
    3.)people suffering from synesthesia ( as pointed out by Simon G Best
    in earlier thread)

    To solve 3 problems above, the C++ compiler can use tooltips to show
    the 'type' when the mouse pointer lingers over the keyword or token.
    Just like in Windows, there are tooltips appearing a moment after you
    linger the mouse pointer over icons. Tips can be presented in other
    ways though, such as showing type information at the bottom(or anywhere
    suitable) of the the window when the cursor is adjacent to the keyword
    or token.

    Actually, using XML to code colour wasn't in my mind. I was thinking of
    storing the colour information adjacent to the Unicode/ANSI character
    set. E.g, if the Unicode/ANSI is 16 or 8 bits, then another 8 bits can
    be added to each token as the colour information. Inevitably, the text
    file will grow large, but after compiling, the object code is still the
    same size as the present C++ object file. So, there is no penalty in
    size and efficiency.

    The only thing is that C++ text file must be edited in C++ compiler or
    a kind of special editor in order to handle this kind of encoding. This
    special editor will have the following features:

    1.) will save C++ files in a standard, portable format. This standard
    file format will be discussed by the C++ committee and when finished,
    is an open-standard.

    2.) This special editor will also have tooltips to show the type of the
    keyword or token.

    3.) User can also set prefered colours for keywords, tokens and
    comments. So if you like red for comment, you can set it. No, this does
    not contradict the standard colour. E.g, if you want the comment to be
    red, but the standard colour for comment is green, then the editor will
    still save all comments in green, but present them as red on screen.
    This also have the advantage of giving colour-blind people to choose
    colours that can be differentiated by themselves.

    4.) A context menu in ambiguous situation to let user choose the
    correct type. Eg. when typing the character '>', the contect menu will
    show 4 choices:
    i.)the text 'greater-than operator' in red colour
    ii.)the text 'overloaded-operator' in orange colour
    iii.)the text 'template's angle-bracket' in green colour
    iv.)the text 'normal character' in black colour.
    The 4th choice shows that it is possbile to use '>' as part of the name
    of a function or variable.

    5.) Other helpful features such as column-wise editing, hex-format
    display, or any other useful features.

    I think this special editor can be developed by C++ committee/community
    and placed it at the C++ Standardization website to be downloaded for
    free. Also, all the above features, except no. 5, applies to all C++
    compilers as well.

    Eberhard Schefold wrote that:

    "...What about printing code? What about posting code to a newsgroup?
    Books? Photocopies? Microfiche? What about colors that are reserved
    socially/religiously in a given culture?..."

    I answer them one by one below.

    1.)printing code
    The only way is to have a colour printer. Nowadays, colour printers are
    very common.

    2.)posting code to newsgroup
    I must admit that the C++ community will have to suffer a little bit
    in the beginning when posting to newsgroup. Later, if the standard
    colour is used commonly in the future, things will change. Hosts like
    Google will meet the market demand and add colour toolbar for editing
    text in colour. I hope.

    3.)Books
    All publishers can print colour text. Colour-printing in books are very
    common. Maybe Eberhard has thought of some situation that I missed or
    can't imagine ? Can you please explain ?

    4.)Photocopies
    Well, I don't know whether there are colour photocopies ? Maybe there
    is.

    5.) Microfiche
    I can't answer this confidently. According to the encyclopedia, there
    are colour microfiche, but more expensive. I have not use or seen
    microfiche before, so I don't know. Anybody?

    6.)colors that are reserved socially/religiously in a given culture
    I am unaware of this, and cannot imagine how? Can you please elaborate
    ? But anyway, as mentioned above, the special editor or C++ compiler
    can allow user to choose thier choice of colour, but will still save
    C++ programs in standard colour.
    Chor Lit, Jan 6, 2007
  18. Chor Lit wrote:

    > Thanks for the feedback. Below are some of my opinion/suggested
    > solutions.

    Chor,

    I see you mean this seriously, and I respect that. Possibly it's only my
    own narrow-mindedness, but I don't think your idea will catch on. I
    think there's a reason why human scripts, technical or mathematical
    notations generally don't use color for carrying (non-redunant)
    information. I believe the reasons are obvious. Yes, color photocopying,
    newsgroups, scanners, microfiche etc. are all available or conceivable
    (if at the price of money and/or compatibilty). However, I believe that
    we should be able to create, transmit, document or archive over the
    broadest variety of channels and media possible. Support for color /is/
    a very strong constraint. If I have an idea sitting on the toilet, I
    want to be able to write it down unambiguously with a single pen on
    toilet paper. If I'm stranded on a desert island, I still want to be
    able to write the text into the sand with a stick. Color on paper fades
    and the information is lost faster than with simple black-and-white.
    Fancy transmission channels do break down, and you're stuck with plain
    ASCII support.

    We can go on discussing all these detail aspects ad infinitum. I'm sure
    there ultimately is a solution for everything. My own experience tells
    me to follow the KISS principle.
    Eberhard Schefold, Jan 6, 2007
  19. Chor Lit

    jalina Guest

    Chor Lit a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I asked Bjarne Stroustrup about the idea of adding colour standard for
    > C++, and he said that it is very difficult for compiler vendors to
    > change their IDE. But do you think it is possible ? Note that the
    > proposed colour standard is not just merely to ease the eye only as
    > what presently is in C++ compilers, but to aid in syntax disambiguation
    > and other advantages.
    >
    > Here are a few advantages that I can think of:
    >
    > 1. By allowing keywords and literals in different colours, C++ can
    > introduce new keywords easily because they are now living in different
    > 'space'.
    >
    > 2.Colours can even be used to differentiate between the operator '>'
    > from the angle bracket '>' in template.
    >
    > 3. Also, names such as '1ABC' and '.ABC' will be acceptable because we
    > can always differentiate character '1' and '.' from thier usual type,
    > no confusion.
    >
    > 4. We can even drop the comment '//' and '/* */' since comment can also
    > be assigned a unique colour.
    >
    > 5. We can also assign a special colour to all overloaded operators to
    > differentiate from normal operators and dropped the keyword 'operator'
    > in the definition.
    >
    > I believe there are plenty more advantages in using colours in C++.
    > There are a lot of details in C++ that I can't think of that might
    > benefit from using colour scheme in C++. I hope this will spark an idea
    > to the committee. What do you think ?

    I agree with. Why use only colors ? I suggest to use OpenOffice as a
    editor for a new language where a table is declared and initialized by
    inserting a "Table" in a document.
    jalina, Jan 6, 2007
  20. jalina wrote:
    > Chor Lit a écrit :
    >> [..]
    >> I believe there are plenty more advantages in using colours in C++.
    >> There are a lot of details in C++ that I can't think of that might
    >> benefit from using colour scheme in C++. I hope this will spark an
    >> idea to the committee. What do you think ?
    >>

    > I agree with. Why use only colors ? I suggest to use OpenOffice as a
    > editor for a new language where a table is declared and initialized by
    > inserting a "Table" in a document.

    The code should be formatted as a spreadsheet. With fonts.
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 6, 2007