Standard for simple database exchange?

Discussion in 'XML' started by nospam@geniegate.com, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    This has got to be a FAQ some place, but....

    Say I've got a table in some database some place, like so:
    (Actually, it's several tables kind of turned sideways, but
    for purposes of this question it may as well be this, because
    this is the intended target)

    PERSONS
    -------------------
    UID FNAME LNAME
    flast First Last

    At first it looks like a tab file would work, (and indeed, it would,
    except that data may contain \n or \t)

    What I'm looking for is a *standard* way to produce something simple,
    like this:

    <row>
    <field label="User ID" name="UID">flast</field>
    <field label="First Name" name="FNAME">first name</field>
    <field label="Last Name" name="LNAME">last name</field>
    </row>

    But I want the XML to follow a DTD that is commonly used for importing
    simple data. Something I can just hand someone and ideally their database
    already handles it, or, they can install a tool in <2 minutes for it.

    Would be nice if it allowed for file attachments, like:

    <field label="Extra documentation" name="description" content_type="application/pdf" filename="somefile.pdf">
    ... base64 encoded data ...
    </field>

    But it's not strictly required, I'd rather produce simple XML with just the
    filename. (Simplicity is the key here, 99% of the time there won't be files,
    and if the format allowed base64 encoding and BLOBS, I could always generate
    additional fields for that purpose)

    Where would I find a specification for that? I've tried google, but all I've
    found are tools designed to be *configured* for a wide variety of XML.

    Jamie
    (rot13) User Management Solutions
    , Feb 25, 2005