standard library headers without excessive macros

K4 Monk

I'm on a linux system and want to read the library code. But I'm using
gcc, and its libraries are full of macros and has layers of typedefs.
Is there a c library which doesn't have all this (has readable
function definitions)?

jacob navia

Le 02/03/11 22:42, K4 Monk a écrit :
I'm on a linux system and want to read the library code. But I'm using
gcc, and its libraries are full of macros and has layers of typedefs.
Is there a c library which doesn't have all this (has readable
function definitions)?

Yes, you should buy the book

"The standard C Library" from Plauger.

It is quite readable and has all functions neatly explained with source
code.

Eric Sosman

I'm on a linux system and want to read the library code. But I'm using
gcc, and its libraries are full of macros and has layers of typedefs.
Is there a c library which doesn't have all this (has readable
function definitions)?

Readability is in the eye of the beholder. To begin to sharpen
your eye, and make it better able to perceive the motivations for the
seeming complexities, I recommend P.J. Plauger's "The Standard C
Library." It's a bit dated, and won't guide you through the intricacies
of the particular Linux headers you're looking at, but it will give you
a good running start towards understanding how library implementors
meet their own set of challenges.

K4 Monk

     Readability is in the eye of the beholder.  To begin to sharpen
your eye, and make it better able to perceive the motivations for the
seeming complexities, I recommend P.J. Plauger's "The Standard C
Library."  It's a bit dated, and won't guide you through the intricacies
of the particular Linux headers you're looking at, but it will give you
a good running start towards understanding how library implementors
meet their own set of challenges.

Thank you Eric and Jacob!