Standard Library SSL Module (was: Python OpenSSL library)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Crute, Jun 14, 2010.

  1. On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Antoine Pitrou <> wrote:
    > That was not my question. My question was whether there was a reason to
    > rewrite a separate OpenSSL-accessing library rather than contributing to
    > improve the "hashlib" and "ssl" modules which are already part of the
    > Python stdlib.

    The ssl module in the standard library is currently just SSL wrappers
    around sock objects while M2Crypto, PyCrypto and Evpy are all a more
    complete implementation of the other cryptography and signing features
    in OpenSSL. I think it would be really awesome to have a complete
    OpenSSL wrapper in the Python standard library since crypto in Python
    is somewhat of a pain today. If I wanted to work on something like
    that what would be the best approach? Extend the ssl package? Create a
    new crypto package?

    --
    Michael E. Crute
    http://mike.crute.org

    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problem just with
    potatoes. --Douglas Adams
    Michael Crute, Jun 14, 2010