    --
    Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Roedy Green wrote:

    > Is anyone aware of a library of standard sounds to use cross-platform
    > in Java apps to indicate things like
    >
    > error
    > warning
    > bad keystroke
    > complete

    Do you mean sound files, like WAV? I think every OS brings its own, if
    at all, and are probably bound to them (i.e. not for redistribution).
    I haven't heard of a cross platform "standard" yet, you could just
    include sounds that fit with your application, and let users customize,
    or use the system platforms'.

    For which I know

    java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep();

    this, on Windows plays the "default beep". It does not use the
    mainboards speaker if you have "no sounds" set, however.

    I used a search engine alittle, and it doesn't look like there is a way
    to play "warning" or "error" sytem sounds...
    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu

    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Jan 21, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:12:31 GMT, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    said :

    >this, on Windows plays the "default beep". It does not use the
    >mainboards speaker if you have "no sounds" set, however.

    This is turning out to be a lot more fuss than I thought.

    1. AudioClip does not eat midi.

    2. You need special tools to chop a tiny slice of midi.

    3. you need special tools to convert midi to au

    I am thinking I might just use voice for everything.

    It is frustrating, I found some very nice little midi riffs to use.

    I did one app with frog sounds , but it the effect is just insanity.

    Roedy Green, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:12:31 GMT, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    > said :
    >

    > >this, on Windows plays the "default beep". It does not use the
    > >mainboards speaker if you have "no sounds" set, however.

    > This is turning out to be a lot more fuss than I thought.
    >
    > 1. AudioClip does not eat midi.
    >
    > 2. You need special tools to chop a tiny slice of midi.
    >
    > 3. you need special tools to convert midi to au
    >
    > I am thinking I might just use voice for everything.
    >
    > It is frustrating, I found some very nice little midi riffs to use.

    Oh, MIDI, ow. Tools might come with your soundcard, but who has one
    these days (as opposed to on-chip)...

    Wild stab in the dark: play the midi in one program, record in another
    (like Audacity, or the Windows own SoundRec).

    Otherwise, converting a midi to something else, it will always ask for
    the instruments (I tried that once, unsuccessfully).

    Here's an intersting thing <g> <http://timidity.sourceforge.net/>

    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu

    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Jan 22, 2008
  5. Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:
    > Here's an intersting thing <g> <http://timidity.sourceforge.net/>

    Having used a variety of programs in an attempt to convert MIDI files, I
    would like to point out that it is my experience that timidity is by far
    the easiest.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Jan 22, 2008