standard to metric converter program

Lee

Dr John Stockton said:
JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in

Since the American nation, collectively and individually, is so voluble,
both in speech and in print, very naturally a large proportion of what
is indexed by Google is of US origin. That means that Google, unless
very thoughtfully used, is not a guide to proper usage.

Nobody offered it as such. The point in question was whether or
not Google would be a good source for the OP.

The US claims to be a Democracy, or at least a Republic. Its populace
should be open to rational argument, and the Administration,
Legislature, and Judiciary are, AIUI, responsible for implementing the
WillOfThePeople, in so far as it is rational to do so.

I'm not aware of any large body of people that can be trusted
to follow rational argument rather than emotional appeal or
what they already "know" to be true. You're certainly not a
good candidate to suggest that your people are any different.

John G Harris

In the last half-century since the end of World
War II and the retreat of European colonialism, just what has the USA
done to deserve this contempt?
<snip>

Posted job adverts in comp.lang.javascript without the acronym USA
appearing anywhere in the article :-(

John

Richard Cornford

John G Harris said:
<snip>

Posted job adverts in comp.lang.javascript without the
acronym USA appearing anywhere in the article :-(

The United States of America posted a job advert in
comp.lang.javascript? Did it leave an email address? ;-)

Richard.

Fabian

Albert Wagner hu kiteb:
... In the last
half-century since the end of World War II and the retreat of
European colonialism, just what has the USA done to deserve this
contempt?

Um, is this a rhetorical question? Or do you genuinely have no idea?
...In fifty more years do you suppose it will be as forgotten
as the parochialism of Europe that chopped up Africa, the Middle East
and South Asia?

I doubt it. That hasn't been forgotten either by the descendants of
those involved.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Albert Wagner said:
I just did a scan of your most recent posts to this newsgroup and the
quoted text above is typical.

All other things aside, I belive the statement:

to be true, and I see no reason to read it as critique of the US.
It might be wrong, but I think it is *probably* true.

Obviously many of us in the EU will only just speak English
adequately, and some not at all, but the population of the EU is 150%
of the population of the US, and all countries in the EU teach English
in school.

/L

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Another attitude that is frowned upon in some places is to
characterize the actions of a group of people as showing the
attitude of their nation.

It seems more likely to me that somebody made up a nice bash
than that anybody in Iraq could possibly overlook the fact that
it's Ramadan. Do you have a citation for the article?

Try a search of the Telegraph sites - the London Daily and Sunday
Telegraph. That London is in England, which is part of the UK. Search
also your own newspapers and other media.

But why do you assume that it took place in Iraq?

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in

Try a search of the Telegraph sites - the London Daily and Sunday
Telegraph. That London is in England, which is part of the UK. Search
also your own newspapers and other media.

But why do you assume that it took place in Iraq?

A Telegraph Web site search yielded the article name & date, enabling an
efficient personal search of the actual tangible newspaper itself.

Weds Oct 29, 2003, page 15, top, title "Jessica Lynch snubs lawyer who
helped to free her", by Marcus Warren in New York.

"A journey to the home town ... visit to Palestine, West Virginia. ...
.... . Local people laid on an impressive spread at a reception to greet
the al-Rehaiefs, only to discover that the family was fasting for
Ramadan. Even if the guests had been hungry they would have been
unlikely, as Muslims, to tuck into the ham sandwiches on offer."

In a place called Palestine, too !

About 20 column-centimetres / 8 column-inches and two pictures.

Below is a photograph of US soldiery - one has a chin almost like that
of Buzz Lightyear.

Lee

Dr John Stockton said:
JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in

Try a search of the Telegraph sites - the London Daily and Sunday
Telegraph. That London is in England, which is part of the UK.

Cultural differences again. Here in the US, that sort of thing
makes us think you're pretty pathetic.
Search also your own newspapers and other media.

I used Google's News search for combinations of "Iraqi Ramadan,
luncheon, ham" and a few others.

But why do you assume that it took place in Iraq?

Misread.