Standard way to distribute utilities with packages

Discussion in 'Python' started by Laszlo Nagy, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. Laszlo Nagy

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    I'd like to distribute a pure Python package named "foo". By default it
    will be placed in lib/site-packages/foo. What if I want to add
    utilities? Command line or GUI programs that are not full featured
    applications, but they can be handy for some tasks that are related to
    the package. Here is what I see:

    * Python places them under "tools" in the Python installation dir (under
    windows). I'm not sure about Unix.

    Other variants:

    * site-packages/foo/scripts (example: win32)
    * site-packages/foo/util (example: vtk)
    * directory site-packages/foo/tools (example: numpy)

    Is there a PEP number / standard way for this?

    Thanks,

    Laszlo

    believed to be clean.
    Laszlo Nagy, Mar 27, 2011