standard xml format for tabular data?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Malak, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Malak

    Malak Guest

    Hi,

    Is there any other standard xml format (schema) for tabular data?


    Regards,

    Anwar
    Malak, Aug 10, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Malak wrote:
    > Is there any other standard xml format (schema) for tabular data?


    I don't know what you mean by "any other". The concept of a table, by
    itself, is so trivial that it's almost not worth writing a schema for,
    so it hasn't been standardized by itself; it tends to be embedded in
    other schemas.

    --
    Joe Kesselman / Beware the fury of a patient man. -- John Dryden
    Joseph Kesselman, Aug 10, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Malak

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Joseph Kesselman wrote:
    > Malak wrote:
    >> Is there any other standard xml format (schema) for tabular data?

    >
    > I don't know what you mean by "any other". The concept of a table, by
    > itself, is so trivial that it's almost not worth writing a schema for,
    > so it hasn't been standardized by itself; it tends to be embedded in
    > other schemas.


    Actually there are a few: DocBook comes with three; the CALS table model
    (originally US MilSpec, now in widespread use), the SASOUT Exchange
    table model, and the HTML table model. There was also an ISO/IEC TR 9573
    Tables DTD but I have no idea if it made it out of the SGML world.

    I discussed these in some detail in my book on SGML and XML Tools
    (Kluwer, 1998). As this is getting harder to find these days, I've
    extracted the relevant pages at http://books.silmaril.ie/extracts/tables.pdf

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Aug 11, 2007
    #3
  4. Peter Flynn wrote:
    > Actually there are a few: DocBook comes with three; the CALS table model
    > (originally US MilSpec, now in widespread use), the SASOUT Exchange
    > table model, and the HTML table model.


    Point is, asking if there is _a_ standard yields the answer "no, there
    is no single standard." Either specify context, or specify the details
    of the table you're trying to represent; that might drive it to one or
    another of these... or to something else entirely.

    Last time I tried to build a table, it wasn't stable; I think I forgot
    one of the <leg>s... <sigh/>

    --
    Joe Kesselman / Beware the fury of a patient man. -- John Dryden
    Joseph Kesselman, Aug 11, 2007
    #4
  5. Malak

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Joseph Kesselman wrote:
    > Peter Flynn wrote:
    >> Actually there are a few: DocBook comes with three; the CALS table
    >> model (originally US MilSpec, now in widespread use), the SASOUT
    >> Exchange table model, and the HTML table model.

    >
    > Point is, asking if there is _a_ standard yields the answer "no, there
    > is no single standard."


    Umm. Debatable. I'd consider CALS to be the de facto standard, but if
    you were talking about the web, then it would of course be HTML.

    > Either specify context, or specify the details
    > of the table you're trying to represent; that might drive it to one or
    > another of these... or to something else entirely.
    >
    > Last time I tried to build a table, it wasn't stable; I think I forgot
    > one of the <leg>s... <sigh/>


    And don't forget the <top>...or rather the <tfoot> which must *precede*
    the <tbody> :)

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Aug 11, 2007
    #5
  6. Peter Flynn wrote:
    > Umm. Debatable. I'd consider CALS to be the de facto standard


    I suspect this depends on what user community, and what kinds of
    documents, you're working with... but I'll grant the point.

    --
    () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman
    /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry
    Joe Kesselman, Aug 13, 2007
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. t
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    580
    Pier Paolo
    Feb 16, 2006
  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Layout versus tabular data.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 14, 2005, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    485
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    Oct 14, 2005
  3. richard
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    597
    Hywel Jenkins
    Sep 28, 2006
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    888
    James Kanze
    Jun 20, 2007
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    118
Loading...

Share This Page