standardization-efforts concerning output of validating parsers

Discussion in 'XML' started by jean-gert nesselbosch, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. hello everybody,

    does anybody know of standardization efforts concerning the output
    of w3cSchema/relaxNG-validating parsers ?

    I use libxml2 for validation-purposes (w3c-Schema and relaxNG) and have
    the impression that

    (a) the output in case the xml-document is not valid, is not very verbose
    (b) the structure of the returned message (in case of the xml-document
    not beeing valid) is...well, it's just text. would be nice, if
    theparser
    would return some standardized xml
    (c) there's no possibilty, neither in w3c-Schema nor in relaxNG (Schematron
    is another case, but unfortunately I can't make use of it in
    theenvironment
    I'm programming for) to add "error_message-tags" to the schema file at
    the appropriate places (at least not those that would be recognized by
    the parser in case of a validation-error) containing self-explanatory
    error- messages, hints how to make the parsed xml-document valid
    or whatever.

    right now, it seems to be (almost) impossible to automatically read the
    output of a validating parser, extract the important information and
    present it to the user.

    gruss,
    jean-gert
    jean-gert nesselbosch, Oct 20, 2005