    Classification - CLC, and any other general or specific classification
    systems you may know of.

    Thank you.
    Grant Robertson, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Grant Robertson wrote:
    > I am interested in any standardized formats for expressing Dewey Decimal
    > System - DDS, Library of Congress Classification - LCC, Cutter Expansive
    > Classification, Universal Decimal Classification - UDC, Colon Notation
    > System - CNS, Bliss Bibliographic Classification Scheme, Chinese Library
    > Classification - CLC, and any other general or specific classification
    > systems you may know of.

    For clarification: Are you looking for formats for the classification
    index (which is defined by the classification system, and generally is
    not in XML syntax), or for associating documents with the indexes that
    have been assigned to them by the appropriate controlling bodies, or...?

    Joe Kesselman, Jan 8, 2007

  3. In article <>, keshlam-
    says...
    > For clarification: Are you looking for formats for the classification
    > index (which is defined by the classification system, and generally is
    > not in XML syntax), or for associating documents with the indexes that
    > have been assigned to them by the appropriate controlling bodies, or...?

    I believe the former. When you look at the LCC number on the binding of a
    book you see something like:

    ..A4
    F88
    2000

    (This is a book about classification.)

    However, when you put text in an element or attribute it is usually all
    in a line. These five lines of text could potentially be written on one
    line as:

    Z696.A4F882000

    or

    Z:696:.A4:F88:2000

    or

    Z 696 .A4 F88 2000

    or

    Z/696/.A4/F88/2000

    or any of a million different combinations. What I need is the definitive
    format for expressing each different classification system's
    classification codes in a single line of text within either an element or
    an attribute. The actual meaning of the classification code will be
    determined by the interpreting software. If there are any standards which
    are designed for use within XML that would be preferred.

    Thanks.
    Grant Robertson, Jan 8, 2007
  4. On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Grant Robertson wrote:

    >If there are any standards which are designed for use within XML that
    >would be preferred.

    Check this: http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/

    Best,
    Tuija
    Tuija Sonkkila, Jan 8, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > Check this: http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/

    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that standard doesn't specify how to
    express the call number itself. I did find a link to the MARC
    specifications at http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdclas.html.
    Oddly, they don't specify either. However from the examples on both sites
    it appears that they simply concatenate all the lines of the call number
    together with no whitespace. It would be nice if they were specific about
    this.

    Well, that's one almost down and about 5 more to go.

    Thanks.
    Grant Robertson, Jan 8, 2007
  6. Grant Robertson wrote:
    > What I need is the definitive
    > format for expressing each different classification system's
    > classification codes in a single line of text within either an element or
    > an attribute.

    I would expect that to be defined by the system, or by its users, rather
    than by XML per se. After all, the same issue exists if you want to
    express it as a single line in a database or in any other programmatic
    form, and if there's any consensus about the single-line form one would
    hope it applies across these multiple programming environments.

    Note that XML *can* store multi-line values, if you enclose them as
    element content rather than attribute content -- so if the official form
    is multiple lines, XML has no objection to handling it that way. (Or, if
    you really insist on having it as attributes, you could spread the
    lines/fields over multiple attributes.)

    So I think the answer is "XML itself has no preference. Specific
    XML-based languages may; check their specs."

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 8, 2007
  7. In article <45a27283$1@kcnews01>, says...
    > So I think the answer is "XML itself has no preference. Specific
    > XML-based languages may; check their specs."

    Thank you.

    I know XML by its nature allows me to define any spec I want. What I am
    looking for is the specs you mention in your last line: those defined by
    the arbiters of the classification systems. I have been searching off and
    on for three weeks now and can't find anything specific. Even the OCLC
    specifications for MARC21 don't specifically say all the lines are
    concatenated. It just appears that way in their examples. I guess I am
    just looking for a definitive statement on one of the official web sites
    of one of these classification consortiums. I haven't been able to find
    anything other than vague generalizations. I was hoping someone here
    would have a tip as where I could find what I needed.

    Thanks for your help though.
    Grant Robertson, Jan 9, 2007