standardized interfaces

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Mike Treseler, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. KJ wrote:

    > I've got the definite impression that we are not on the same page

    when > we talk about what it means for something to be 'standardized'.

    I don't write standards, I write code for fpga-based products.
    LPM was nice while it lasted, but it lost support of the
    vendors in 2000, and I still have work to do.

    > What is generally more useful would be to have a number of flag
    > outputs where the depth where the flag
    > gets triggered can be specified by a generic value
    > (like half full, three quarters full, .98% full, etc.)

    Good idea. I'll put that in.

    > Users of fifos tend to think of 'writing' and 'reading' the fifo,
    > not 'pushing' and 'popping' it as sync_fifo does.
    > In fact 'push' and 'pop' give the implication of a stack.

    Agreed. I used those names because they were short
    and help me visualize the data block.

    > Mike would probably agree that his 'sync_fifo' could very
    > well have been implemented with the exact same set of
    > parameter and signal names as lpm_fifo but he chose not to.

    Yes. I found the original LPM code to be mind numbing.

    > Mike being able to reuse 'sync_fifo' wherever he needs
    > fifo functionality though is no different than any
    > other FPGA vendor pushing their 'standard'.

    I'm not a vendor and I am not pushing anything.
    I find examples of readable, working code interesting.
    If you don't, feel free to ignore them.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Nov 6, 2006