Staroffice v HTML v vi

Graham Duddridge

Hope this is the right forum for this question - I found it by chance -
plus I'm a novice with HTML:

I have created an HTML page using the StarOffice editor containing
thumbnails where each thumbnail is a link to a new page.

As the page is one frame in a three frame layout (the framed page layout
was not created in SO) I have manually edited the SO editor output to
include the following code (in the A HREF tag, to push the new link into
the current frame): TARGET="mainpage", mainpage being the name of the
frame. No problem. All links worked fine.

However, one of the thumbnails is not a link but instead is a pop-up
window using a simple JavaScript (stolen from a book - function written
in HEAD and called from BODY). Now, the following events occur:

1. Click on each of the link thumbnails: New link opens in current
window. Correct.

2. Click on thumbnail without link: Pop-up window opens. Correct.

opens in new window. Not correct!

If anyone has seen / heard something similar and there's a simple HTML
rule I've broken somewhere I'd be very interested to know.

Regards
Graham

Steve R.

Graham Duddridge wrote in message...
If anyone has seen / heard something similar and there's a simple HTML
rule I've broken somewhere I'd be very interested to know.

If you could post the URL of this website it would be much easier to look
at all your code and see where you have *slipped up*.

Mark Parnell

Hope this is the right forum for this question - I found it by chance -
plus I'm a novice with HTML:

Well, if it's an HTML question, this is the right place. :)
I have created an HTML page using the StarOffice editor containing
thumbnails where each thumbnail is a link to a new page.

No problems so far...
As the page is one frame in a three frame layout

Ah. Major problems here.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")
However, one of the thumbnails is not a link but instead is a pop-up
window using a simple JavaScript

So around 15% of your visitors won't be able to follow the link.
1. Click on each of the link thumbnails: New link opens in current
window. Correct.
Indeed.

2. Click on thumbnail without link: Pop-up window opens. Correct.

Not correct. I don't want it to open in a pop-up window (and my browser
won't allow it to anyway).
opens in new window. Not correct!

Yes. Same as 2.