Start from the start - Ruby or ruby on rails

David Vallner

D=C5=88a Piatok 10 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 00:08 Assaph Mehr nap=C3=ADsal:
Of course, any *real* webapp might need need a *real* database. I'm
just talking about the less real, "works for me" class of applications

Well, that's the main problem with concurrency bugs. You don't know where t=
hey=20
might occur (e.g. they might theoretically occur anywhere) until they do, a=
nd=20
they're usually also very obscure bugs. The other way I had to SSH over to =
a=20
friend and do the SQLite delete column hack, and I was damn glad to have th=
e=20
table locked while doing it and ROLLBACK at my fingertips - ever so slightl=
y=20
a more elegant solution than taking the whole application offline and then=
=20
hacking at the file. Although very possibly subject to taste and the desire=
=20
to do things "right" for acquired meanings of the world more than anything=
=20
else.

Of course, for "works for me", it's probably Very Good (tm), as well as for=
=20
people that don't know SQL or find it excruciatingly painful to work with t=
he=20
language or SQL shells.

David Vallner

Al Gordon

XML, Yaml, database : before choosing, maybe you would like to have a
look at Kirbybase : http://www.netpromi.com/files/kirbybaserubymanual.htm= l
It has many very nice features :
- no installation (written in ruby) : put kirbybase.rb in
c:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby and that's all
- no database language to learn : everything is done with ruby syntax
- no administration tools required : the data is in plain text files
- no hundreds of page to read : the complete doc is 77k
- offers nearly the power of a "real" database system : indexes, lookup
tables, one-to-many links, multi-fields sort, enough data types (String,
Integer, Float, Boolean, Time, Date, DateTime, Memo, Blob, and YAML.)
- fast enough
- free
AF

I dig that this recommendation for kirby was written in yaml. ;)