Starting a process on the server from a web page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by fatima.issawi@gmail.com, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to start a process which will zip a file using a command
    line utility from my webpage. I don't have any problems starting the
    process (on my development machine, anyway), but once the process
    starts, it doesn't return back to execute the rest of my code. I know
    it finishes. It creates the zipped file. I also checked the task
    manager, and the process exits in there too.

    Does anyone know why this is? Does anyone have any suggestions to
    implement what I am trying to do? Help!

    The code I am using is (CompressFiles is called from my Page_Load):

    private void CompressFiles(String[] strFile)
    {
    System.Diagnostics.Process myProc = new
    System.Diagnostics.Process();

    myProc = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("\\\\sps69\\worklocs\
    \winzip\\wzzip.exe", "c:\\testzip.zip c:\\test.pdf");

    string test = "we are done!"; // <<<------ I never come back
    here or back to my Page_Load.
    }

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Regards,
    Fatima

    , Feb 15, 2007

  2. On Feb 15, 8:43 pm, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to start a process which will zip a file using a command
    > line utility from my webpage. I don't have any problems starting the
    > process (on my development machine, anyway), but once the process
    > starts, it doesn't return back to execute the rest of my code. I know
    > it finishes. It creates the zipped file. I also checked the task
    > manager, and the process exits in there too.

    Unable to Start a Process from ASP.NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555134

    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 15, 2007