Starting a process within an ASP.NET web from

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thomas Wenzl [MVP], Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    Initial situation:
    - ASP.NET application.
    - Users upload a file
    - that file has to be converted into another file format using
    a unmanged application that uses a lot of COM components

    What has already worked?
    - Upload works
    - starting a process, generating a file, download, etc. -
    when using a managed test application
    - converting a file using the real convert application
    from a console window

    What does not work?
    - converting a file using the convert application when
    started from an ASP.NET web form
    - the process does appear in task manager for a very
    short moment, but is closed immediately

    What could I verify or test? Any tips and hints
    are appreciated.

    Thank you very much in advance!

    Regards
    --
    Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

    Share what you know, learn what you don't!
    (Deja/Google)
    Thomas Wenzl [MVP], Jun 7, 2004

  2. Is the application that you are invoking a custom application of yours? You could see if there are any errors being generated and
    writing them into a text file of something.

    Scott Meddows, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Scott,

    Scott Meddows wrote:
    > Is the application that you are invoking a custom application of
    > yours? You could see if there are any errors being generated and
    > writing them into a text file of something.

    unfortunately not. If it would be one of my applications I
    could add some debugging code to a special debug build
    to test this.

    I read the standard output and standard error stream,
    but nothing interesting there.

    As I said, the app appears only for a short moment
    (a second or so). I wait for the exit of the process,
    that means, it should have been closed properly.

    The managed test application works, but it doesn't
    start any other applications and doesn't do any
    COM operations.

    Any other ideas?

    Regards

    Thomas Wenzl [MVP], Jun 8, 2004
  4. "Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Scott,
    >
    > Scott Meddows wrote:
    > > Is the application that you are invoking a custom application of
    > > yours? You could see if there are any errors being generated and
    > > writing them into a text file of something.

    > unfortunately not. If it would be one of my applications I
    > could add some debugging code to a special debug build
    > to test this.
    >
    > I read the standard output and standard error stream,
    > but nothing interesting there.
    >
    > As I said, the app appears only for a short moment
    > (a second or so). I wait for the exit of the process,
    > that means, it should have been closed properly.
    >
    > The managed test application works, but it doesn't
    > start any other applications and doesn't do any
    > COM operations.

    Yes. Try starting notepad (a different unmanaged application), or try
    changing your managed test application to start other applications or to do
    COM operations. See if any of those fail.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail
    John Saunders, Jun 8, 2004