starting a Python 2.5 executable without the DOS window

Greg Miller

I am working on a program that controls a piece of equipment. The GUI/
control software is written with Python2.5/wxPython. I would like to
know if there is a way of starting the GUI without the DOS window
having to launch? I would like only the application itself to appear,
no DOS window. Thanks for any information.
Greg Miller

Ulrich Eckhardt

Greg said:
I would like to know if there is a way of starting the GUI
without the DOS window having to launch?

Use pythonw.exe instead of python.exe.

Uli

pruebauno

I am working on a program that controls a piece of equipment.  The GUI/
control software is written with Python2.5/wxPython.  I would like to
know if there is a way of starting the GUI without the DOS window
having to launch?  I would like only the application itself to appear,
no DOS window.  Thanks for any information.
Greg Miller

change the extension of your python program from ".py" to ".pyw".
Alternatively make sure that your program gets started by pythonw.exe
(insted of python.exe).

Vlastimil Brom

2009/2/27 Greg Miller said:
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific, it is an executable, .exe,
application created with PytoExe.

Ok, then you can adjust your setup script for py2exe to contain

setup(windows=["sourcefile.py"] ... )

instead of

setup(console=["sourcefile.py"] ...) which you probably have now.

hth,
vbr

Daniel

2009/2/27 Greg Miller said:
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific, it is an executable, .exe,
application created with PytoExe.

Ok, then you can adjust your setup script for py2exe to contain

setup(windows=["sourcefile.py"] ... )

instead of

setup(console=["sourcefile.py"] ...) which you probably have now.

hth,
  vbr

Just giving it the .pyw extension also seems to work (as I remember)