Starting Application from ASP.NET on Server Machine

Nusret Bajric

Hello,

I have a problem with starting a COM application from my ASP.NET application
on
the server machine. I get an error with a message permission denied during
creation of COM object.
If I start an application alone (without call through another COM DLL), it
does nothing (no process activity).
The application starts without problems from normal desktop application.

Do somebody know how cann one start such application from ASP.NET (button
click)?

Chris Jackson

Check your permissions on that object. By default, the ASP.NET worker
process (aspnet_wp.exe) runs with the user credentials ASPNET. Since most
COM objects are in-process DLLs, then your ASPNET account would need to have
the appropriate permissions to access this object, and then do anything this
object does in order to get its work done. If you want to secure things a
bit, you can use impersonation and windows authentication to launch it using
the credentials of the current user, and you can apply your ACLs based on
the groups which should be allowed to execute this application.