starting program without taskbar item

Discussion in 'C++' started by Xypher, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Xypher

    Xypher Guest

    I wrote a pretty basic application in c++ which runs in a

    while (true)
    {

    //do something

    Sleep(xxx milliseconds);
    }

    loop.

    It is designed to run in the background. Therefore, it has no UI.
    Though, when I start the app, a shell opens, of course.
    Now I am looking for an easy way to get rid of this nasty shell - the
    program just ought to run invisibly.

    I want to avoid installing a service - is there another way?

    I used the basic std c entry call:

    int main(int argc, char argv[])
    {
    //...
    //while loop (see above)
    }

    I avoided MFC and all the other MS stuff to keep the program small in
    size. Currently it needs 140 kb RAM. It would be nice if the size
    didn't become bigger.

    Regards,

    Xypher
    Xypher, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Xypher

    lallous Guest

    "Xypher" <> wrote in message
    > I wrote a pretty basic application in c++ which runs in a
    >
    > while (true)
    > {
    >
    > //do something
    >
    > Sleep(xxx milliseconds);
    > }
    >
    > loop.
    >
    > It is designed to run in the background. Therefore, it has no UI.
    > Though, when I start the app, a shell opens, of course.
    > Now I am looking for an easy way to get rid of this nasty shell - the
    > program just ought to run invisibly.
    >
    > I want to avoid installing a service - is there another way?
    >
    > I used the basic std c entry call:
    >
    > int main(int argc, char argv[])
    > {
    > //...
    > //while loop (see above)
    > }
    >
    > I avoided MFC and all the other MS stuff to keep the program small in
    > size. Currently it needs 140 kb RAM. It would be nice if the size
    > didn't become bigger.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Xypher

    Hello

    Compile your program as a Win32 GUI application rather than a Win32 console
    application.
    Your program will have WinMain() as entry point instead of main().

    For further questions regarding this issue try asking in
    microsoft.public.vc.language or .mfc

    --
    Elias
    lallous, Feb 11, 2004