Starting Tomcat ( from Netbeans Install) from line command produces error

john bailo

I installed the latest Sun NetBeans product including Tomcat.

I can start and run the Tomcat server from the NetBeans IDE.

Now I want to start Tomcat independently.

My install directory is /opt/j2sdk_nb/netbeans3.5/tomcat406

So I entered,

[root@localhost bin]# export CATALINA_HOME=/opt/j2sdk_nb/netbeans3.5/tomcat406

To confirm:

[root@localhost bin]# echo $CATALINA_HOME
/opt/j2sdk_nb/netbeans3.5/tomcat406

Then when trying to run:

[root@localhost bin]# $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
Cannot find /opt/j2sdk_nb/netbeans3.5/tomcat406/bin/catalina.sh
This file is needed to run this program

Yet the catalina.sh clearly is in the bin directory specified.