State bar

The Snoozing Team

Hi!

When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
state bar on the buttom of the browser.

I want to know how to modify that ??

Instead of http://www.xxx.com i want someting like, HOME PAGE or DIRECTORY
!!!

Thank's

Leif K-Brooks

The said:
When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
state bar on the buttom of the browser.

I want to know how to modify that ??

You don't. Users want to know where they're going.

Hywel Jenkins

Hi!

When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
state bar on the buttom of the browser.

I want to know how to modify that ??

Instead of http://www.xxx.com i want someting like, HOME PAGE or DIRECTORY
!!!
A simple google for "status bar javascript" would have given you the
answer.

David Dorward

The said:
When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
state bar on the buttom of the browser.

Yes, this is normal.
I want to know how to modify that ??

You could muck about with JavaScript, *some* browsers will let you get away
with that[1]. However, its a bad idea. The majority of users who even
notice are those expecting the normal information, therefore most of the
people who notice will be annoyed.

You have the link text, and the advisory information (<a href="foo"
title="advisory information">link text</a>) already, that's plenty of space
to put the information you want to let the user see.

[1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
not

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:49:35 +0000, David Dorward is reported
to have stated:
[Change status bar text]
[1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
not

Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

Whitecrest

[1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
not
Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:22:13 -0500, Whitecrest is reported to
have stated:
[1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
not
Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

But of course it can do a lot of other things as well. That's just a bonus.
And I happen to like knowing where a link is going to take me, thank you.

But maybe I'm just anal. :)

Whitecrest

But of course it can do a lot of other things as well. That's just a bonus.

Yippie... a bonus useless feature.
And I happen to like knowing where a link is going to take me, thank you.
But maybe I'm just anal. :)

Never can tell.

Toby A Inkster

Mark said:
Sometime around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:49:35 +0000, David Dorward is reported
to have stated:
[Change status bar text]
[1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
not

Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

And although Opera 7 does let scripts play around with the status bar, it
always should link destinations in tooltips.

Spartanicus

Toby said:
And although Opera 7 does let scripts play around with the status bar

Not if you disable it, preferences -> multimedia -> javascript options
-> allow changing of status field.

David Dorward

Whitecrest said:
No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

Becuase actually having warning that some idiot has used
href="javascript:..." (rendering middle clicking on the link useless), or
that the link goes to a PDF file rather then an HTML document, or that the
link goes to another side, isn't something anybody could possibly find
useful.

Whitecrest

Becuase actually having warning that some idiot has used
href="javascript:..." (rendering middle clicking on the link useless), or
that the link goes to a PDF file rather then an HTML document, or that the
link goes to another side, isn't something anybody could possibly find
useful.

The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

David Dorward

Whitecrest said:
The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
not mutually exclusive?

Toby A Inkster

David said:
How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
not mutually exclusive?

In Opera (unless a setting in Preferences is changed disallowing this) and
author can replace the status bar text with anything they like, yet the
user can always see the link's URL in the tooltip.

Not mutually exclusive.

Whitecrest

How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
not mutually exclusive?

Come on David, I can write stuff in the status bar AND let you see the
links in the status bar when you mouse over something.

David Dorward

Whitecrest said:
Come on David, I can write stuff in the status bar AND let you see the
links in the status bar when you mouse over something.

The author can, that doesn't mean the author will. Hence the ability to
disable JavaScripts ability to muck about with the status bar.

Whitecrest

The author can, that doesn't mean the author will. Hence the ability to
disable JavaScripts ability to muck about with the status bar.

Well now this is just getting silly...

Just because a few might abuse something as crafty as changing the
status bar text. That does not mean that one should not change the
status bar text on their site.

Just because someone abuses something does not mean that it is wrong or
that it should be taken away from everyone. Take pot for example, just
because some people abuse it, that does not mean... Well, wait a
second, that probably isn't a good example... Porn, that is better.
Just because some people abuse porn, does not mean that it should be
take away from all of us. (you know exactly what I mean)