    Instead of http://www.xxx.com i want someting like, HOME PAGE or DIRECTORY
    !!!

    Thank's

    The Snoozing Team, Nov 11, 2003

  2. The Snoozing Team wrote:

    > When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
    > state bar on the buttom of the browser.
    >
    > I want to know how to modify that ??

    You don't. Users want to know where they're going.

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 11, 2003

  3. In article <>, says...
    > Hi!
    >
    > When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
    > state bar on the buttom of the browser.
    >
    > I want to know how to modify that ??
    >
    > Instead of http://www.xxx.com i want someting like, HOME PAGE or DIRECTORY
    > !!!

    A simple google for "status bar javascript" would have given you the
    answer.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 11, 2003
  4. The Snoozing Team wrote:

    > When a user pass his mouse on a link, the name of the link appear in the
    > state bar on the buttom of the browser.

    Yes, this is normal.

    > I want to know how to modify that ??

    You could muck about with JavaScript, *some* browsers will let you get away
    with that[1]. However, its a bad idea. The majority of users who even
    notice are those expecting the normal information, therefore most of the
    people who notice will be annoyed.

    You have the link text, and the advisory information (<a href="foo"
    title="advisory information">link text</a>) already, that's plenty of space
    to put the information you want to let the user see.

    [1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
    not
    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Nov 11, 2003
  5. The Snoozing Team

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:49:35 +0000, David Dorward is reported
    to have stated:
    [Change status bar text]

    > [1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
    > not

    Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 11, 2003
  6. The Snoozing Team

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <10wf1vs40tryj$.1ihoovo6jlu9s$>,
    says...
    > > [1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
    > > not

    > Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

    No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
    browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 11, 2003
  7. The Snoozing Team

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:22:13 -0500, Whitecrest is reported to
    have stated:
    > In article <10wf1vs40tryj$.1ihoovo6jlu9s$>,
    > says...
    >>> [1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
    >>> not

    >> Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

    > No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
    > browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

    But of course it can do a lot of other things as well. That's just a bonus.
    And I happen to like knowing where a link is going to take me, thank you.

    But maybe I'm just anal. :)

    Mark Parnell, Nov 12, 2003
  8. The Snoozing Team

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
    > > browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

    > But of course it can do a lot of other things as well. That's just a bonus.

    Yippie... a bonus useless feature.

    > And I happen to like knowing where a link is going to take me, thank you.
    > But maybe I'm just anal. :)

    Never can tell.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 12, 2003
  9. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Sometime around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:49:35 +0000, David Dorward is reported
    > to have stated:
    > [Change status bar text]
    >>
    >> [1] Some are good enough to let the user choose if they want to allow it or
    >> not

    > Hooray for Mozilla! :-D

    And although Opera 7 does let scripts play around with the status bar, it
    always should link destinations in tooltips.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 12, 2003
  10. The Snoozing Team

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >And although Opera 7 does let scripts play around with the status bar

    Not if you disable it, preferences -> multimedia -> javascript options
    -> allow changing of status field.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Nov 12, 2003
  11. Whitecrest wrote:

    > No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
    > browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

    Becuase actually having warning that some idiot has used
    href="javascript:..." (rendering middle clicking on the link useless), or
    that the link goes to a PDF file rather then an HTML document, or that the
    link goes to another side, isn't something anybody could possibly find
    useful.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Nov 16, 2003
  12. The Snoozing Team

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bp89e8$spv$1$>,
    says...
    > > No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
    > > browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

    > Becuase actually having warning that some idiot has used
    > href="javascript:..." (rendering middle clicking on the link useless), or
    > that the link goes to a PDF file rather then an HTML document, or that the
    > link goes to another side, isn't something anybody could possibly find
    > useful.

    The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 17, 2003
  13. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <bp89e8$spv$1$>,
    > says...
    >> > No offence, but I just think that it is pretty anal to care if your
    >> > browser can stop someone from writing something in the status bar.

    >> Becuase actually having warning that some idiot has used
    >> href="javascript:..." (rendering middle clicking on the link useless), or
    >> that the link goes to a PDF file rather then an HTML document, or that
    >> the link goes to another side, isn't something anybody could possibly
    >> find useful.

    > The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

    How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
    authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
    not mutually exclusive?

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Nov 17, 2003
  14. David Dorward wrote:

    > How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
    > authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
    > not mutually exclusive?

    In Opera (unless a setting in Preferences is changed disallowing this) and
    author can replace the status bar text with anything they like, yet the
    user can always see the link's URL in the tooltip.

    Not mutually exclusive.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 17, 2003
  15. The Snoozing Team

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bp9t8o$9b5$1$>,
    says...
    > > The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

    > How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
    > authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
    > not mutually exclusive?

    Come on David, I can write stuff in the status bar AND let you see the
    links in the status bar when you mouse over something.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 17, 2003
  16. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <bp9t8o$9b5$1$>,
    > says...
    >> > The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

    >> How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
    >> authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
    >> not mutually exclusive?

    > Come on David, I can write stuff in the status bar AND let you see the
    > links in the status bar when you mouse over something.

    The author can, that doesn't mean the author will. Hence the ability to
    disable JavaScripts ability to muck about with the status bar.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Nov 17, 2003
  17. The Snoozing Team

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bpb34e$762$1$>,
    says...
    > >> How are "always seeing real status information" and "browsers allowing
    > >> authors to replace the status information with any text the author like"
    > >> not mutually exclusive?

    > > Come on David, I can write stuff in the status bar AND let you see the
    > > links in the status bar when you mouse over something.

    > The author can, that doesn't mean the author will. Hence the ability to
    > disable JavaScripts ability to muck about with the status bar.

    Well now this is just getting silly...

    Just because a few might abuse something as crafty as changing the
    status bar text. That does not mean that one should not change the
    status bar text on their site.

    Just because someone abuses something does not mean that it is wrong or
    that it should be taken away from everyone. Take pot for example, just
    because some people abuse it, that does not mean... Well, wait a
    second, that probably isn't a good example... Porn, that is better.
    Just because some people abuse porn, does not mean that it should be
    take away from all of us. (you know exactly what I mean)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 17, 2003