    Anyway, any tips, hints, or links would be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Bill

    Bill Kelly, Oct 26, 2007

  2. On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 03:22:32PM +0900, Bill Kelly wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I've been a little slow to hitch onto the 'gem' and 'rake'
    > train, but I'm creating a new ruby C extension I'd like to
    > release as a gem.
    >
    > The tools I'm familiar with are mkmf.rb and setup.rb.
    >
    > I've gotten the sense that mkmf.rb may still be used, but
    > that setup.rb may have been replaced by some more powerful
    > rake-based automatic gem building solution?
    >
    > Anyway, any tips, hints, or links would be appreciated!

    Check out hoe! It lets you create rake files which will build your
    gems, post to rubyforge, and other fun stuff. Just make sure you've got
    an extconf.rb in your ext directory.

    http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/hoe/

    If you want to see a working example, my icanhasaudio gem is a native
    extension that uses hoe.

    --
    Aaron Patterson
    http://tenderlovemaking.com/