State-server suddenly stops responding

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?iso-8859-1?q?Nils Hedstr=f6m, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Today my stateserver (running at the same computer at the web-server) suddenly
    stopped responding (after 10 days working perfectly).
    I did not see any entry in the eventlog indicating that the service stopped
    responding.
    This is the entry in web.config
    ---
    <sessionState mode="StateServer"
    stateConnectionString="tcpip=localhost:42424"
    cookieless="false"
    timeout="20"/>
    ---

    I am running .NET version 1.1.4322.573 (SP1) on a Windows Server 2003.
    My logs show that the amount of free physical memory was quite normal (600
    MB of 2 GB total) at the time when it stopped responding.

    When users tried to access the site the got the same errormessage as if the
    state-server was not started.
    ---
    System.Web.HttpException
    :
    Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please
    ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and
    server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure
    that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.
    --

    Is this a common problem?
    Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem was or any hints for where

    /nisse a

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Nils Hedstr=f6m, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Check the event log for event 1072 or 1076. If either, it is a network
    timeout issue:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308097

    If the State Server is the web server, I would consider moving it to another
    box, as you can have clashes. State Server on web server is fine for
    development, but not the best deployment option for production apps. The
    scenario in this URL is a good one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323262

    > Is this a common problem?

    I have, personally, never seen it. From a groups search on google, there are
    only 18 threads, so I would say no.

    ---

    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Jan 27, 2005

  3. =?iso-8859-1?q?Nils Hedstr=f6m

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    You may try to run

    aspnet_regiis -r

    from \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder and reboot your
    server. Will this help?

    Also, you need to make if the problem occur when you save large data into
    session varaint. Based on my experience, save too many data in session also
    can cause such a problem.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jan 28, 2005