State-server suddenly stops responding

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Nils Hedstr=f6m

Today my stateserver (running at the same computer at the web-server) suddenly
stopped responding (after 10 days working perfectly).
I did not see any entry in the eventlog indicating that the service stopped
responding.
This is the entry in web.config
---
<sessionState mode="StateServer"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=localhost:42424"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"/>
---

I am running .NET version 1.1.4322.573 (SP1) on a Windows Server 2003.
My logs show that the amount of free physical memory was quite normal (600
MB of 2 GB total) at the time when it stopped responding.

When users tried to access the site the got the same errormessage as if the
state-server was not started.
---
System.Web.HttpException
:
Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please
ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and
server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure
that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.
--

Is this a common problem?
Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem was or any hints for where

/nisse (e-mail address removed)

Guest

Check the event log for event 1072 or 1076. If either, it is a network
timeout issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308097

If the State Server is the web server, I would consider moving it to another
box, as you can have clashes. State Server on web server is fine for
development, but not the best deployment option for production apps. The
scenario in this URL is a good one:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323262
Is this a common problem?
I have, personally, never seen it. From a groups search on google, there are
only 18 threads, so I would say no.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

[MSFT]

Hello,

You may try to run

aspnet_regiis -r

from \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder and reboot your
server. Will this help?

Also, you need to make if the problem occur when you save large data into
session varaint. Based on my experience, save too many data in session also
can cause such a problem.

Luke