'StateList' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it doesnot exist in the list of items.

APA

I'm getting this error when my page loads. The control is not a dependent control. Below is the
code used to populate the control.

IDataReader dr = DB.GetData("select Name, Abbrv from State");
StateList.DataSource = dr;
StateList.DataTextField = "Name";
StateList.DataValueField = "Abbrv";
error here ---> StateList.DataBind();

Here's the control declaration

<asp:DropDownList ID="StateList" runat="server"></asp:DropDownList>

This used to work and the only thing that changed is that an application in a subdirectory of the
website was changed so that it's not a separate application anymore. This is now happening on all
databound dropdownlist controls in the website.

I found many references to this problem but the scenarios all involve dependent controls or null
values in the data, neither of which is a problem in my case. I'm stumped.