StateServer and aspnet_wp.exe recycling

warlord

I have recently converted a site to using the ASP.NET StateServer, and in
order to ensure that my changes were successful I made sure I had data in
session, and set the idleTimeout value in the processModel section of
machine.config to 5 minutes. The aspnet_wp.exe worker process recycled
after 5 minutes of idle time as expected, and sure enough the site kept
running and I still had access to all my session data.

The problem is that after the worker process recycled, when I do anything on
the page (eg. just clicking an anchor) it takes 60 seconds for the site to
'reattach' itself (I'm assuming to the StateServer) before continuing on
it's merry way. I performed the test several times and each time it took
exactly 60 seconds to continue on after the wroker process recycled.

The good news is that at least the site stayed up and it can continue to be
used, but I'm concerned that if the worker process recycles for any reason,
or for any reason the AppDomain is torn down (and trust me there's plenty of
reasons why that might happen) then the users will experience this kind of
delay. I knwo in the grand scheme of things a minute is not very long, but
the perception of users of the site is important.

Does anyone know what is actually happening after the worker process is
recycled and the next request to the site is made ? Is there a setting
somewhere that controls how long the process takes ?

Cheers,

CJ