static files and asp

Mike D

I have a site that will be displaying static files to clients. Each client
will have their owb directory locked down through NTFS permissions.
Currently I have a Client folder in the wwwroot then that client folder has a
folder for static files in it. How much more secure would it be if I moved
it out of the wwwroot and used a virtual directory?

Thanks
Mike

Mike D

I guess I should have said these files are being accessed through fso, and I
will need the ability in asp to upload and create folders. That's all fine I
just wonder about what is the safest. Clients can't know who our other
clients are.

Mike

Jeff Cochran

I guess I should have said these files are being accessed through fso, and I
will need the ability in asp to upload and create folders. That's all fine I
just wonder about what is the safest. Clients can't know who our other
clients are.

Mike

Probably not much. You couldn't access them directly by URL, but
you'd still need the permissions and those arewhat really protect
them. Authenticate users and only allow authenticated access and
you're pretty safe. Until someone guesses the account/password. Or
changes companies and takes the info with them. :)

Jeff

Mike D

Thanks all for your replies. I guess I am not as far off track as I had
thought. When you put data out there and it's your a@@ if it is compromised
you try and think of everything.

Mike