    it out of the wwwroot and used a virtual directory?

    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike D, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Mike D

    Mike D Guest

    I guess I should have said these files are being accessed through fso, and I
    will need the ability in asp to upload and create folders. That's all fine I
    just wonder about what is the safest. Clients can't know who our other
    clients are.

    Mike

    Mike D, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Mike D

    Steven Burn Guest

    Asked a similar Q in the IIS NG........ see if the reply I got helps you

    http://surl.co.uk/?1234

    Original URL:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...ack to Search&scrollSave=&&d#d8fc48f8a1a82297

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Mike D

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:37:01 -0800, Mike D
    <> wrote:

    >I guess I should have said these files are being accessed through fso, and I
    >will need the ability in asp to upload and create folders. That's all fine I
    >just wonder about what is the safest. Clients can't know who our other
    >clients are.
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >"Mike D" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a site that will be displaying static files to clients. Each client
    >> will have their owb directory locked down through NTFS permissions.
    >> Currently I have a Client folder in the wwwroot then that client folder has a
    >> folder for static files in it. How much more secure would it be if I moved
    >> it out of the wwwroot and used a virtual directory?

    Probably not much. You couldn't access them directly by URL, but
    you'd still need the permissions and those arewhat really protect
    them. Authenticate users and only allow authenticated access and
    you're pretty safe. Until someone guesses the account/password. Or
    changes companies and takes the info with them. :)

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Mike D

    Mike D Guest

    Thanks all for your replies. I guess I am not as far off track as I had
    thought. When you put data out there and it's your a@@ if it is compromised
    you try and think of everything.

    Mike

    Mike D, Mar 4, 2005