    library...and how do .lib and .dll files come up in the picture...

    Thanks,
    a.a.cpp++ :)
    iceColdFire, May 17, 2005

  2. * iceColdFire:

    > Can someone highlight the difference between static library and bynamic
    > library...

    Dynamic libraries are not covered by the C++ standard. For that matter,
    neither are static libraries, but static libraries just provide ordinary
    C++ code. For an explanation of static libraries, see

    <url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_01_01_01.html>.

    > and how do .lib and .dll files come up in the picture...

    That's off-topic in this group.

    Try posting in e.g. [comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32] for Windows-
    specific questions.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
    Alf P. Steinbach, May 17, 2005

  3. iceColdFire

    iceColdFire Guest

    :: Alf P. Steinbach

    thanx for the link..

    ++ppc.a.a.
    iceColdFire, May 17, 2005
  4. iceColdFire

    sam Guest

    Hi,

    This is also related to static link of third-party C++ library.
    After compiled and linked with ACE in FreeBSD 5.4, apart from copy my
    program over, I found that I also need to copy the libace..so.5.4.1 file
    to the target system as well.

    I found somewhere in the internet mentioned that I can compile the
    program static link with ACE, but it didn't describe the detail of how
    to do that in Unix.

    Can anyone please tell me how to static link a C++ program with ACE
    library in Unix? I want to compile and link my program with the ACE
    library into one, so that when I deliver the program to my client, I
    only deliver one program.

    Thanks
    Sam
    sam, May 17, 2005