Static Maps from Lat Long data in XLS file

kobewka

Hello,

I'm new to Python, but I think it can solve my problem and I am looking for a someone to point me to tutorial or give me some tips here.

I have an xls file that has about 1,000 latitude and longitude points. I want to do one of two things: 1) Save a static maps and street view image from the coordinates, or 2) create an html file with the map and street view image side by side.

I need the urls to look like this:

Map with a pin in the centre:
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api...:blue|label:S|43.65162,-79.40571&sensor=false

Image:
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api...43.65162, -79.40571&size=600x600&sensor=false

I am not sure if option 1 will work because the url doesn't actually lead to an image, but rather Google returns an image when that url is used.

Any tips or pointers are much appreciated!

Ken Bolton

Hello,

I'm new to Python, but I think it can solve my problem and I am looking
for a someone to point me to tutorial or give me some tips here.

Hi! I am a first-time poster to python-list, but I think I can help you.

I have an xls file that has about 1,000 latitude and longitude points. I
want to do one of two things: 1) Save a static maps and street view image
from the coordinates, or 2) create an html file with the map and street
view image side by side.

If you save your xls file as a csv (comma-separated values), you can use
python's built-in csv module, documented here -
http://docs.python.org/2/library/csv.html, to read the file line by line.
Store the values and substitute the strings into a new list of URLs.

I was able to use curl to grab the images you linked. I believe you can use
urllib (or, better, requests - http://docs.python-requests.org/en/latest/)
to get and save the images.

hth.

best,