static memory allocation versus dynamic memory allocation

Al Balmer

(BTW, I don't attack using "u" for "you". I find it does not impede
my understanding and it probably gives useful "out of band" data about
the poster.)

Such nonsense doesn't affect my ultimate understanding, since I can
usually figure out what the writer meant. However, it does *impede*
understanding, just as bad sentence structure, misspelling, and use of
incorrect words does. What makes the kiddy speak particularly
irritating is that it's done deliberately.

I agree that it does provide further data about the user. However,
pointing it out can lead to even more important information - their
educability.

CBFalconer

Ben said:
.... snip ...

(BTW, I don't attack using "u" for "you". I find it does not
impede my understanding and it probably gives useful "out of band"
data about the poster.)

That's because you are a native English speaker. Now consider the
usenetter who has no idea of how English is pronounced, nor how the
various letters are pronounced (in English). He is basically
decoding an arbitrary set of glyphs.

Ben Bacarisse

CBFalconer said:
That's because you are a native English speaker.

I don't think so. I think it is because I am mildly dyslexic and, for
me, a set of letters that suggests a word is almost as good as the
work itself. Other native speakers report such contractions as
impeding understanding and I have no reason to doubt them
Now consider the
usenetter who has no idea of how English is pronounced, nor how the
various letters are pronounced (in English). He is basically
decoding an arbitrary set of glyphs.

Indeed. I am surprised at how few non-native English speakers
complain about such usage, though. They certainly should complain if
a poster makes his or her post harder to follow than it need be.

I don't like the usage. I don't want to encourage it. I don't object
when anyone else complains about it. I was making a personal point
that it does not seem to impede my understanding.