Static method

ojvm24

I have a static method which has the following signature.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
}
</code>

I can't chage this, now this is the problem. how can i pass it
parameters
so in the method i can use them and return a dinamic list of objects,
i'm using ibatis
for test purposes i did the following.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
MiBean m = new MiBean();
m.setNombre("prueba");
List beans = new ArrayList();
beans.add(m);
return beans;

}
</code>

ok, it works fine, but now i want to replace the list i created by
hand with an
object that makes a query over a db, so the code would be this.
<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//dao that retrives
object from a db.
return beans;
}
</code>
but i cant use the "valor" parameter, due is not possible to use a no
static-variable
in a static method. at the moment i've resolved it in this way

<code>
public static int valor;//the variable was declared as static.

public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//i can use it now
return beans;
}
</code>
however this solution is not the best, because i'm expossing the
properties of my class
hope you can help me with this little problem, just remember i can't
change the method
signature.

Thank you in advance.

Arne Vajhøj

I have a static method which has the following signature.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
}
</code>

I can't chage this, now this is the problem. how can i pass it
parameters
so in the method i can use them and return a dinamic list of objects,
i'm using ibatis
for test purposes i did the following.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
MiBean m = new MiBean();
m.setNombre("prueba");
List beans = new ArrayList();
beans.add(m);
return beans;

}
</code>

ok, it works fine, but now i want to replace the list i created by
hand with an
object that makes a query over a db, so the code would be this.
<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//dao that retrives
object from a db.
return beans;
}
</code>
but i cant use the "valor" parameter, due is not possible to use a no
static-variable
in a static method. at the moment i've resolved it in this way

<code>
public static int valor;//the variable was declared as static.

public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//i can use it now
return beans;
}
</code>
however this solution is not the best, because i'm expossing the
properties of my class
hope you can help me with this little problem, just remember i can't
change the method
signature.

You can make valor private and add a public setValor method.

But your basic problem is unsolvable. You can not an argument to
a method without adding an argument.

You have painted yourself into a corner with that requirement.

Arne

Joshua Cranmer

I have a static method which has the following signature.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
}
</code>

I can't chage this, now this is the problem. how can i pass it
parameters

May I ask why you cannot change the parameters? Is it to conform to some
interface or something similar?
<code>
public static int valor;//the variable was declared as static.

public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//i can use it now
return beans;
}
</code>
however this solution is not the best, because i'm expossing the
properties of my class

I'm guessing that you would like something like this:

public class ProblemClass {
private static boolean validConfiguration = false;

private static int value;

public static void configureCollection(int value) {
ProblemClass.value = value;
validConfiguration = true;
}

public static List createBeanCollection() {
if (!validConfiguration)
throw new IllegalStateException("Trying to create a bean"+
" collection without a proper configuration!");
validConfiguration = false;
return miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(value);

Disclaimers:
1. It would probably be better to use generics, unless this is pre-Java
5, in which case it would be better to upgrade to Java 6 and then use
generics.
2. I don't know Spanish, so I'm only guessing what your variable names
are talking about.
3. My code doesn't account for more complex fault-handling capabilities,
but that's alright for an example.

Mark Space

I have a static method which has the following signature.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
}
</code>

I can't chage this, now this is the problem. how can i pass it
parameters
so in the method i can use them and return a dinamic list of objects,
i'm using ibatis
for test purposes i did the following.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
MiBean m = new MiBean();
m.setNombre("prueba");
List beans = new ArrayList();
beans.add(m);
return beans;

}
</code>

ok, it works fine, but now i want to replace the list i created by
hand with an
object that makes a query over a db, so the code would be this.
<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//dao that retrives
object from a db.
return beans;
}
</code>
but i cant use the "valor" parameter, due is not possible to use a no
static-variable
in a static method. at the moment i've resolved it in this way

<code>
public static int valor;//the variable was declared as static.

public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//i can use it now
return beans;
}
</code>
however this solution is not the best, because i'm expossing the
properties of my class
hope you can help me with this little problem, just remember i can't
change the method
signature.

Thank you in advance.

Probably a better way to handle this is just to use a setter to set the
value of valor.

public class BeanWrapper {

private int valor;

public static void setValor( int v )
{
valor = v;
}

public static List createBeanCollection()
{
return miDao.onbtenObjectosPorId( valor );

Now this is a tad dangerous, you'll get issues with concurrency and
what-not. But it might suit your needs.

Have you considered a non-static method? It seems to me that would solve
a lot more problems. You could also inject a non-static object into the
wrapper class.

public class BeanWrapper {

private Beans b;

public static void setValor( Beans v )
{
b = v;
}

public static List createBeanCollection()
{
return b.onbtenObjectosPorId();

where a Beans object has the "valor" injected into it, ie.,

setValor( new Beans( 1 ) );

Now you also have a fully constructed object that you can synchronize
on, for example. And it's private, so no one else can call it but your
createBeanCollection() method.

ojvm24

[...]

thank you for answer so soon. ok i think your solution is better than
the one i'm using now. about the use of generics mmm. i'll check it
because this is a List for ireport reporter so i don't know if it is
supported. the variable name doesn't matter, it doesn't have any
meaning. it seems to work so i'll give it a try.

ojvm24

You can make valor private and add a public setValor method.

But your basic problem is unsolvable. You can not an argument to
a method without adding an argument.

You have painted yourself into a corner with that requirement.

Arne

yes i know that it's not the best way to get something from some
method. the point is that this is a requirement of ireport in order to
populate it with a list of objects instead of using an sql data
source. so that the reazon than i can change the signature.

ojvm24

Probably a better way to handle this is just to use a setter to set the
value of valor.

public class BeanWrapper {

private int valor;

public static void setValor( int v )
{
valor = v;
}

public static List createBeanCollection()
{
return miDao.onbtenObjectosPorId( valor );

but with this code you will get an "non-static variable valor cannot
be referenced from a static context" so this wont work.
Now this is a tad dangerous, you'll get issues with concurrency and
what-not. But it might suit your needs.

yes in fact i was thinking in sincronized code in the method that
calls this class.
Have you considered a non-static method? It seems to me that would solve
a lot more problems. You could also inject a non-static object into the
wrapper class.

the problem is that this is the signature a must use. i cant rewrite
it to "public List mimethod()" this is an ibatis requirementin order
to populate a report whit objects instead of using an sql data source.
public class BeanWrapper {

private Beans b;

public static void setValor( Beans v )
{
b = v;
}

public static List createBeanCollection()
{
return b.onbtenObjectosPorId();

yes it souns fine. but the problem is the same i mentioned above.
where a Beans object has the "valor" injected into it, ie.,

setValor( new Beans( 1 ) );

Now you also have a fully constructed object that you can synchronize
on, for example. And it's private, so no one else can call it but your
createBeanCollection() method.

thank you for your time.

Mark Space

but with this code you will get an "non-static variable valor cannot
be referenced from a static context" so this wont work.

Oops, both examples should have "static" as part of the variable
declaration. That's what I get for not compiling the code.

Daniel Pitts

I have a static method which has the following signature.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
}
</code>

I can't chage this, now this is the problem. how can i pass it
parameters
so in the method i can use them and return a dinamic list of objects,
i'm using ibatis
for test purposes i did the following.

<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
MiBean m = new MiBean();
m.setNombre("prueba");
List beans = new ArrayList();
beans.add(m);
return beans;

}
</code>

ok, it works fine, but now i want to replace the list i created by
hand with an
object that makes a query over a db, so the code would be this.
<code>
public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//dao that retrives
object from a db.
return beans;
}
</code>
but i cant use the "valor" parameter, due is not possible to use a no
static-variable
in a static method. at the moment i've resolved it in this way

<code>
public static int valor;//the variable was declared as static.

public static List createBeanCollection(){
List beans = miDao.onbtenObjetosPorId(valor);//i can use it now
return beans;
}
</code>
however this solution is not the best, because i'm expossing the
properties of my class
hope you can help me with this little problem, just remember i can't
change the method
signature.

Thank you in advance.

If you need to pass something in, you should make sure its thread safe.
One way to do that is have a ThreadLocal with your parameters.

Mark Space

Daniel said:
If you need to pass something in, you should make sure its thread safe.
One way to do that is have a ThreadLocal with your parameters.

Assuming, of course, that "valor" isn't supposed to be a global shared
variable.

But yes, going from a local variable to a global one creates all sorts
of problems if you don't understand what a static field does. Good
catch there.

Owen Jacobson

This is an utter hack, but I suppose you're forced into creating some
sort of hack.  Anyway, perhaps you could solve this problem by using
java.lang.reflect.Proxy to dynanically create a new Class object that
implements the required interface.  For every different value of 'valor'
(your variable that you are being forced to make static), you'd have
a different class.  It's uuuuuuugly, but it gets around the limitation
of threads or re-entrant code stomping on the static variable.

I'm assuming here, by the way, that Proxy can implement static methods,
which seems logical, but I don't think I've tried that.

   - Logan

Given that Proxy objects only expose methods defined by interfaces or
by Object, and given that interfaces cannot define static methods, I
wouldn't expect this to work.

The OP's real problem is that he's chosen to use a static method for
his lookups. His requirements (being able to change the
implementation independently of other parts of the code) do not work
well as a static method; instead, he should create an interface (or at
least a class) and plug in different implementations at runtime.

-o