Static Nav bar withh CSS

bill

Hello,

Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
scrolling content underneath?

Thanks,

Bill

Spartanicus

bill said:
Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
scrolling content underneath?

T'is, but the required CSS is not supported by IE. There is a IE js hack
to emulate fixed behaviour, but it's not pretty (jerky).

Still interested?

bill

Spartanicus said the following on 8/4/2005 2:32 PM:
T'is, but the required CSS is not supported by IE. There is a IE js hack
to emulate fixed behaviour, but it's not pretty (jerky).

Still interested?
Nope.

What is *the best* way to impliment nav menu's so that each page doesn't
have duplicate code for the nav? JS? HTML/CSS?

Amos E Wolfe

bill said:
Hello,

Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
scrolling content underneath?

There is an example here: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ - being at w3.org you
can be sure it validates and will most likely work on all or nearly all
browsers.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Bill McCormick

Amos said:
There is an example here: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ - being at w3.org you
can be sure it validates and will most likely work on all or nearly all
browsers.
I see. It looks like they use position: fixed. I think the float
attribute is also required to achieve the effect; I wouldn't think this
method would make for a useful navbar at top.

Bottom line: I need to give up on the iframe and become OK with loosing
site of the nav bar when scrolling down.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, bill quothed:
Hello,

Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
scrolling content underneath?

Ooo, goodie, a question I can actually answer.

Check out the following link. It does just that, but beware: you need
javascript (-or preferably server-side scripting) to make it happen.

http://www.neredbojias.com/delta/strozzi.html

Bill McCormick

Neredbojias said the following on 8/5/2005 7:05 AM:
With neither quill nor qualm, bill quothed:

Ooo, goodie, a question I can actually answer.

Check out the following link. It does just that, but beware: you need
javascript (-or preferably server-side scripting) to make it happen.

http://www.neredbojias.com/delta/strozzi.html
Very cool! Nice work!

I was hoping that I would be able to use less js though. I think I need
to understand the overflow and visibility CSS attributes. I look at
those today.

Chris Beall

Amos said:
There is an example here: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ - being at w3.org you
can be sure it validates and will most likely work on all or nearly all
browsers.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Amos,

Nearly all, perhaps. Does not work on IE 6.0.2800.1106IC. The
navigation area scrolls with the rest of the page.

Um, and there are no triangle bullets before each nav entry, and the
abbreviations are not visible.

Chris Beall

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Bill McCormick quothed:
Very cool! Nice work!
Thanks

I was hoping that I would be able to use less js though. I think I need
to understand the overflow and visibility CSS attributes. I look at
those today.

T'would be better, true. Basically all that page does is provide an IE-
workaround for position:fixed. The same could be accomplished
javascriptless with PHP very easily.

Hopefully, the much-rumored IE7 will recognize that function and others
its predecessors now do not.