    scrolling content underneath?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    bill, Aug 4, 2005

  2. bill

    Spartanicus Guest

    bill <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    >scrolling content underneath?

    T'is, but the required CSS is not supported by IE. There is a IE js hack
    to emulate fixed behaviour, but it's not pretty (jerky).

    Still interested?

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 4, 2005

  3. bill

    bill Guest

    Spartanicus said the following on 8/4/2005 2:32 PM:
    > bill <> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    >>scrolling content underneath?

    > T'is, but the required CSS is not supported by IE. There is a IE js hack
    > to emulate fixed behaviour, but it's not pretty (jerky).
    >
    > Still interested?

    Nope.

    What is *the best* way to impliment nav menu's so that each page doesn't
    have duplicate code for the nav? JS? HTML/CSS?
    bill, Aug 4, 2005

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another ?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 4, 2005
  5. bill

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    > scrolling content underneath?

    There is an example here: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ - being at w3.org you
    can be sure it validates and will most likely work on all or nearly all
    browsers.

    -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
    Amos E Wolfe, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Amos E Wolfe wrote:
    > "bill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    >>scrolling content underneath?
    >>

    > There is an example here: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ - being at w3.org you
    > can be sure it validates and will most likely work on all or nearly all
    > browsers.

    I see. It looks like they use position: fixed. I think the float
    attribute is also required to achieve the effect; I wouldn't think this
    method would make for a useful navbar at top.

    Bottom line: I need to give up on the iframe and become OK with loosing
    site of the nav bar when scrolling down.

    --
    Cheers,

    bill
    Bill McCormick, Aug 5, 2005
  7. bill

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, bill quothed:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    > scrolling content underneath?

    Ooo, goodie, a question I can actually answer.

    Check out the following link. It does just that, but beware: you need
    javascript (-or preferably server-side scripting) to make it happen.

    http://www.neredbojias.com/delta/strozzi.html

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Neredbojias said the following on 8/5/2005 7:05 AM:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, bill quothed:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    >>scrolling content underneath?

    > Ooo, goodie, a question I can actually answer.
    >
    > Check out the following link. It does just that, but beware: you need
    > javascript (-or preferably server-side scripting) to make it happen.
    >
    > http://www.neredbojias.com/delta/strozzi.html

    Very cool! Nice work!

    I was hoping that I would be able to use less js though. I think I need
    to understand the overflow and visibility CSS attributes. I look at
    those today.

    --
    Cheers,

    bill
    Bill McCormick, Aug 5, 2005
  9. bill

    Chris Beall Guest

    Amos E Wolfe wrote:
    > "bill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Is it possible to impliment, without frames, a static nav bar with
    >>scrolling content underneath?
    >>

    > There is an example here: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ - being at w3.org you
    > can be sure it validates and will most likely work on all or nearly all
    > browsers.
    >
    > -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

    Amos,

    Nearly all, perhaps. Does not work on IE 6.0.2800.1106IC. The
    navigation area scrolls with the rest of the page.

    Um, and there are no triangle bullets before each nav entry, and the
    abbreviations are not visible.

    Chris Beall
    Chris Beall, Aug 5, 2005
  10. bill

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Bill McCormick quothed:

    > Very cool! Nice work!

    Thanks

    > I was hoping that I would be able to use less js though. I think I need
    > to understand the overflow and visibility CSS attributes. I look at
    > those today.

    T'would be better, true. Basically all that page does is provide an IE-
    workaround for position:fixed. The same could be accomplished
    javascriptless with PHP very easily.

    Hopefully, the much-rumored IE7 will recognize that function and others
    its predecessors now do not.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 5, 2005