Static Typing

Ville Vainio

publicNO> There's some slides at
publicNO> http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are these
publicNO> features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so,
publicNO> how do I enable these (I get syntax errors), and why
publicNO> can't I find any documentation on them? Thanks in
publicNO> advance.

Yes, they are not, and "enabling" them would probably involve more
work than you probably expect to be able to put it ;-).

For one approach to statically typed Python, check out

http://boo.codehaus.org/

We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in during
the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle ;-).

Erik Max Francis

Ville said:
We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in during
the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle ;-).

It's interesting, though. I had missed it the first time around, I find
it intriguing.

Ville Vainio

Erik> It's interesting, though. I had missed it the first time
Erik> around, I find it intriguing.

It is - but the slides don't describe type inference, and that's
definitely what I would like to see in the future typing system.

John Roth

OvErboRed said:
There's some slides at http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are
these features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so, how do I
enable these (I get syntax errors), and why can't I find any documentation
on them? Thanks in advance.

You might notice the date on those slides. It's been almost four
years and at least three releases, and there has been no movement.
I wouldn't suggest holding your breath.

John Roth