    these features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so, how do I
    enable these (I get syntax errors), and why can't I find any documentation
    on them? Thanks in advance.

    OvErboRed, Jul 26, 2004

  2. OvErboRed

    Ville Vainio Guest

    >>>>> "publicNO" == OvErboRed <> writes:

    publicNO> There's some slides at
    publicNO> http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are these
    publicNO> features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so,
    publicNO> how do I enable these (I get syntax errors), and why
    publicNO> can't I find any documentation on them? Thanks in
    publicNO> advance.

    Yes, they are not, and "enabling" them would probably involve more
    work than you probably expect to be able to put it ;-).

    For one approach to statically typed Python, check out

    http://boo.codehaus.org/

    We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
    CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in during
    the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle ;-).

    --
    Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

    Ville Vainio, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Ville Vainio wrote:

    > We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
    > CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in during
    > the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle ;-).

    It's interesting, though. I had missed it the first time around, I find
    it intriguing.

    --
    __ Erik Max Francis && && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    / \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis

    Erik Max Francis, Jul 26, 2004
  4. OvErboRed

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Erik> Ville Vainio wrote:

    >> We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
    >> CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in
    >> during the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle ;-).

    Erik> It's interesting, though. I had missed it the first time
    Erik> around, I find it intriguing.

    It is - but the slides don't describe type inference, and that's
    definitely what I would like to see in the future typing system.

    --
    Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

    Ville Vainio, Jul 26, 2004
  5. OvErboRed

    John Roth Guest

    "OvErboRed" <> wrote in message
    > There's some slides at http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are
    > these features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so, how do I
    > enable these (I get syntax errors), and why can't I find any documentation
    > on them? Thanks in advance.

    You might notice the date on those slides. It's been almost four
    years and at least three releases, and there has been no movement.
    I wouldn't suggest holding your breath.

    John Roth

    John Roth, Jul 26, 2004