Static v. dynamic typing

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Christopher Dunn, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. ------=_Part_2588_519602.1141343571583

    > Ruby is SLOW! Even compared to Python.

    i've never had a problem with this and am routinely process files ranging
    from
    40mb to 3gb - one only has to use c extensions.

    That's true. You can always fall back on an extension. The thing is, I
    actually prefer Python for C++ proto-typing. It maps so well to C++, STL,
    and Boost.

    why do you see dynamic typing as a contributor to slowdown?

    I'm no expert. There were interesting remarks on this point from the author
    of Boo. This is from the Boo FAQ:
    Performance: since it is statically typed, can I expect a performance equal
    or close to c# or vb.net?

    Yes.

    At the Digital Mars D language website (D is the way C++ should be) there i=
    a comment that a compiler writer should have had more input into the design
    of C++. D is blazingly fast, but significantly easier to read and to code
    than C++. It also includes integrated testing and design-by-contract.

    So 'agile' does not have to mean 'slow'.

    > Boo and Ocaml are examples of fast, agile languages, and if more companie=

    > would adopt them, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

    ocaml is very good - but it's a massive paradigm shift for most people's
    thought train... most real world problems are imperitive.

    Ruby is quite a paradigm shift itself! Continuations are mind-blowing.
    I love the whole concept.

    What I'm saying is that the author of Boo, by realizing the difference
    between dynamic-typing and type-inferencing, achieved the best of both
    worlds.

    ------=_Part_2588_519602.1141343571583--

    Christopher Dunn, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Christopher Dunn

    Mc Osten Guest

    On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:53:06 +0900, Christopher Dunn wrote:

    > why do you see dynamic typing as a contributor to slowdown?

    Lisp is dynamic typed, but there are Lisp compilers with C-like
    performances.

    --
    USB Priests for only 10$

    Mc Osten, Mar 3, 2006