"Statically linking" native extensions.

Indigo Casson

Hello.

I am writing a small game in ruby, using rubygame to do the graphics. I
am targeting an audience with little technical experience, which means I
won't be using gems, as easy as those are. My perfect scenario is to
give somebody a CD with a ruby installer and the game on it and have it
work perfectly. This means that instead of relying on gem to give me
external libraries, like rubygame or ruby-sdl-ffi (which rubygame
depends on), and want to store that code in my game's directory tree.
This is not particularly hard for rubygame, because it doesn't include a
native extension. (I would statically link rubygame by simply copying
its code into a directory in the game's directory tree.) ruby-sdl-ffi,
however, does require one. How would one "statically link" such a gem? I
have tried to make the game as light on external libraries as possible,
but graphics are a must. Thanks for your help,

Indigo.

P.S. The game is a simple puzzle game. It requires simple 2d surfaces
and textures to run, so if you have a better library, please let me
know.