StaticSelectedStyle for Menu not working in Master page

Gary

From: "Gary" <[email protected]>
Subject: StaticSelectedStyle for Menu not working on Master page
Date: Monday, October 27, 2008 11:11 AM

<StaticSelectedStyle Font-Bold="true" ForeColor="White" />

It does partially work. The font is bolded for selected MenuItem but the
color of the font doesn't change. Is some CSS style overriding? How to debug
this?

Thanks

Gary

Nathan,

Thanks for the tip on the Developer Toolbar. It's going to be a great help.

I sort of solved my problem but still don't fully understand my solution. My
menu was inside a div

<asp:Menu ID="Menu2" runat="server"
DataSourceID="SiteMapDataSource1"
Height="20px" Width="139px" StaticDisplayLevels="2"
StaticSubMenuIndent="">

<StaticSelectedStyle Font-Bold="true" ForeColor="White" />

</asp:Menu>

and I did have

#navigation a {color: #402640;}

defined in a css file.

I guess the #navigation a {color: #402640;} was being applied after the
<StaticSelectedStyle Font-Bold="true" ForeColor="White" />. I wish it were
the other way around -- shouldn't it be? I removed 'color: #402640;' from
'#navigation a' and the menu worked the way I wanted. Shouldn't
StaticSelectedStyle be applied after anything in the css file? Is there a
good link to a reference of the order that styles are applied?

Thanks

Nathan Sokalski

I don't know of any good online references for that, but a wonderful (and
cheap) book that contains a good explanation of it is:

O'Reilly CSS Pocket Reference by Eric A. Meyer
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515058/

I have found this book to be very helpful. But here is something to take a
look at. When your code renders the styles from StaticSelectedStyle, where
does it place them? Are they specified in a style="" attribute of an <a> tag
(I am unfamiliar with the Menu control, but since you used #navigation a as
a selector I am assuming the tag you want styled is an <a> tag) or an
ancestor/parent of that <a> tag? If it is a style attribute in the <a> tag
itself, then that will take priority. But if the style attribute is in an
ancestor or parent, the styles from the #navigation a selector will take
priority because they are more specific to the <a> tag. Here is an
undetailed list from highest to lowest priority:

style="" attribute
#navigation a in stylesheet
style="" attribute in parent or ancestor
#navigation

The things to think about that probably will make it clearer are inheritance
and which style specification is most specific to that tag? The style=""
attribute is the most specific, then comes the class="" attribute, then
selectors in the stylesheet, and then inheritance. I'm probably a little
unclear (or possibly in some cases partially inaccurate) on some of this,
but I think you'll understand it if you get the book, and hopefully what I
have said will help you at least a little. Good Luck!