status and plan (Code Worth Recommending Project)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Peter Michaux, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. After the lengthy discussions so far about feature detection in
    various threads, I have committed the following to the repository
    trunk

    getAnElement
    getEBCS
    getEBI
    getEBTN
    getOptionValue
    hasAttribute
    isHostMethod
    isRealObjectProperty
    serializeFormUrlencoded
    setOpacity
    urlencode

    You can browse the various implementations on the project's trac site

    I'm not claiming they are finished or that they are yet worth
    recommending (especially since there is no documentation.) I would
    like to know if anyone has checked out the code and tried running the
    tests with PHP.

    For this initial round of code committing I have been adding directly
    to the trunk even before the code is considered final. This has been
    fine since there was no finalized code in trunk to "pollute" with
    experimental code. After this initial round is over, I would like to
    develop all new code in a branch and only commit to trunk when the
    code is finalized. With such a process the code in trunk can be
    considered stable.

    For the final part of this first round of code committing, I would
    like to add functions that would round out an Ajax module. I will post
    some threads about this over the next couple weeks.

    When those Ajax functions are committed to trunk, the entire body of
    code will need ratification (the actual ratification is not the
    purpose of this thread). I'm not sure how that will go. I think there
    will be a bit of blur with ratification and documentation writing. I
    think the system needs a way that regulars can flag a certain piece of
    code with a disclaimer that they do not believe a particular
    implementation is recommendable for it's stated purpose. Suggestions?

    I acknowledge there has been concern about supporting or not
    supporting IE4 and maybe even NN4. The many implementations approach
    can handle such implementations but maintenance is my main concern.
    This issue can be addressed in the future if there is a real need but
    I think going through the entire process of code development and its
    ratification is more valuable at the moment. Imagine that the group
    may end up with an Ajax module worth recommending? Instead of just
    ranting on and on about the poor quality of the popular libraries
    (which is actually valuable conversation) we can offer something
    better.

    I'm glad to see that quite a few regulars have joined in the
    conversations already. I've enjoyed them and hope that participation
    grows as we cover different topics over time.

    --
    Peter
    Code Worth Recommending Project
    Peter Michaux, Dec 13, 2007