status bar text problem

Charles Mendell

1. When I go to http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp and choose:
2. JS HTML DOM and then choose:
3. the Window object and then choose:
4. Write some text in the windows status bar ( a link)
5. Before I write the script, the IE shows current time in status bar
6. After I write the script, which writes a message on the status bar:
<script text="text/javascript>
function load()
{
window.status= "Show this text in the status bar"
}
</script>
7. The script seems to work properly. quickly displaying the text in the
status bar
then the text disappears to be replaced by the current time again. I
cannot get the
text to appear long enough for anybody to read it. This is my problem.
I do not want
the current time to show. I just want the text that I write to show.
It's as if the
current time is hardcoded into IE. How can I get rid of the current
time and only
show the text that I want? I've done some searching for a tool that
would let me
change the options on the status bar but I have not found one. If there
is a way to change
those status bar options, please let me know.
8. When I view the W3school link (written in .ASP) the status bar shows
the text properly
and the current time does not show. This is what I want. I cannot check
myself if it
does not work to begin with...How can I get it to work?
9. Thanks for your time and patience.

Chuck

Randy Webb

Charles said:
1. When I go to http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp and choose:
2. JS HTML DOM and then choose:
3. the Window object and then choose:
4. Write some text in the windows status bar ( a link)
5. Before I write the script, the IE shows current time in status bar
6. After I write the script, which writes a message on the status bar:
<script text="text/javascript>

<script type="text/javascript">

Note its type, not text. You are also missing the closing "
function load()
{
window.status= "Show this text in the status bar"

return true;

Consulting the group FAQ, specifically section 4.35 would have answered
this for you.
}
</script>
7. The script seems to work properly.

Considering the notes above that I made, thats incredible that it even
does anything at all. But then again, IE is not the most respectable
browser to test scripts in. It does nothing, and can never do anything,
in Mozilla because I have the statusbar blocked from being changed. Its
there for more reasons than trying to change it.

quickly displaying the text in the status bar then the text disappears
to be replaced by the current time again. I cannot get the text to appear
long enough for anybody to read it. This is my problem. I do not want the
current time to show. I just want the text that I write to show. It's as
if the current time is hardcoded into IE.

No, its not hard-coded. In fact, my IE doesn't display the time in the
status bar at all.
How can I get rid of the current time and only show the text that I want?

First, ask yourself why you want to attempt to change the basic
functionality of the "status" bar. Its there to show load progress, and
other "status" things in the browser.
I've done some searching for a tool that would let me change the options
on the status bar but I have not found one. If there is a way to change
those status bar options, please let me know.
8. When I view the W3school link (written in .ASP) the status bar shows
the text properly and the current time does not show. This is what I want.
I cannot check myself if it does not work to begin with...How can I get it to work?

Why can't you check it yourself?
9. Thanks for your time and patience.

Thank you in the future for not trying to change my status bar.

Also, you may want to look into some other mode of posting to news. The
format you are using is horrendous.

RobG

Charles Mendell wrote:
[snip]
8. When I view the W3school link (written in .ASP)

This should be irrelevant - what has ASP got to do with it? Other than
infer that W3Schools may be Microsoft-centric (which they are, but
they are quite open about what works in IE only).
the status bar shows
the text properly
and the current time does not show. This is what I want. I cannot check
myself if it
does not work to begin with...How can I get it to work?
9. Thanks for your time and patience.
[snip]

I use IE on Windows XP (occasionally), it never shows the time in the
status bar. I have no idea where it is configured from - certainly
nowhere I can find. There are a number of scripts around that put a
clock in the status bar, but none persist once you leave the site.

Are you sure you haven't loaded some IE extension or ActiveX do-dad
that is putting the clock there?

Rob.