Status bar text script

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Mickey, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Mickey

    Mickey Guest

    Hi,

    I am jst writing to ask if anyone could help with this?
    I have a simple script to change the status bar text. This works fine
    in Internet Explorer.., but I can't get it to work for Firefox.

    I've pasted the script below, i'd really aprechiate it if anyone could
    help me out.

    Kind Regards,
    Mikey

    message = " testtesttesttesttesttest " +
    "testtesttesttesttest " +
    " testtesttest "

    scrollSpeed = 5
    lineDelay = 1000

    txt = ""

    function scrollText(pos) {
    if (message.charAt(pos) != '^') {
    txt = txt + message.charAt(pos)
    status = txt
    pauze = scrollSpeed
    }
    else {
    pauze = lineDelay
    txt = ""
    if (pos == message.length-1) pos = -1
    }
    pos++
    setTimeout("scrollText('"+pos+"')",pauze)
    }

    scrollText(0)

    Mickey, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Mickey

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Mickey wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am jst writing to ask if anyone could help with this?
    > I have a simple script to change the status bar text. This works fine
    > in Internet Explorer.., but I can't get it to work for Firefox.
    >
    > I've pasted the script below, i'd really aprechiate it if anyone could
    > help me out.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > Mikey

    > message = " testtesttesttesttesttest " +
    > "testtesttesttesttest " +
    > " testtesttest "
    >

    > scrollSpeed = 5
    > lineDelay = 1000
    >
    > txt = ""
    >
    > function scrollText(pos) {
    > if (message.charAt(pos) != '^') {
    > txt = txt + message.charAt(pos)
    > status = txt
    > pauze = scrollSpeed
    > }
    > else {
    > pauze = lineDelay
    > txt = ""
    > if (pos == message.length-1) pos = -1
    > }
    > pos++
    > setTimeout("scrollText('"+pos+"')",pauze)
    > }
    >
    > scrollText(0)

    in firefox goto tools>options>web features>where it says enable
    javascript click advanced>make sure allow scripts to: change status bar
    text is checked [it is disabled as many users find this behaviour annoying]

    Jedi Fans, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Mickey

    Mickey Guest

    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

    I had previously thought that could be the problem, however I have
    enabled that feature and this still won't run on Firefox.

    Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
    Mikey

    Mickey, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Mickey <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am jst writing to ask if anyone could help with this?
    > I have a simple script to change the status bar text. This works fine
    > in Internet Explorer.., but I can't get it to work for Firefox.
    >
    > I've pasted the script below, i'd really aprechiate it if anyone could
    > help me out.
    >

    > status = txt

    Mozilla seems to think you're creating a global variable. Use: window.status=txt;

    --
    S.C.

    Stephen Chalmers, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Mickey

    Mickey Guest

    Hi,

    Just an update.

    >Mozilla seems to think you're creating a global variable. Use: window.status=txt;

    I just tried this and it worked perfect, thanks so much.

    Thanks again,
    Mikey

    Mickey, Jul 25, 2005