status bar (window.status) not working in Netscape 8.1

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by topmind, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. topmind

    topmind Guest

    I couldn't get the status bar to work in Netscape 8.1. The JavaScript
    settings are set to allow it, but it just ain't no work.

    Here is a Plain Jane test script. I added an Alert box to make sure the
    function was getting called. Am I missing something obvious? It works
    in IE just fine.

    <head>
    <title>Status Bar Test</title>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    function myFunc() {
    window.status='teeeeest';
    alert('Sanity check');
    return(true);
    }
    </script>
    </head>

    <form>

    <input type="button" value="test" onclick="return myFunc();">

    </form>

    Thanks, -T-
    topmind, Jun 30, 2006

  2. topmind wrote:

    > I couldn't get the status bar to work in Netscape 8.1. The JavaScript
    > settings are set to allow it, but it just ain't no work.
    > Here is a Plain Jane test script. I added an Alert box to make sure the
    > function was getting called. Am I missing something obvious? It works
    > in IE just fine.
    > [...]

    NS/FF does not allow scripts to change the status bar text by default.

    In Firefox 1.0.4, this feature can be enabled like this:
    'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Web features' > 'Advanced' (next to checkbox
    'Enable JavaScript'), and then check 'Allow scripts to change status
    bar text'.

    The NS & FF>1.0.4 procedures should be similar.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Bart
    Bart Van der Donck, Jul 1, 2006