Status Bar

The Numerator

How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
requires JavaScript. Thanks.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
requires JavaScript. Thanks.

That is part of my browser, not your page. Please don't attempt to
modify it. Thanks.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, The Numerator quothed:
How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
requires JavaScript. Thanks.

Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

Stewart Gordon

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, The Numerator quothed:

Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

And most browsers have the option to disable JavaScript. But it doesn't
stop thousands, maybe millions, of websites from using it.

Stewart.

--
-----BEGIN META GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 1

the 'group where everyone may benefit.

Carolyn Marenger

The said:
How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
requires JavaScript. Thanks.

I don't know how to change it, but I am sure google can give you many links
to appropriate information.

Before you do however, ask yourself why you want to? Does your answer
conflict with my browser disabling your ability to control my status bar?
Will I miss out on important information from your site? If so, then will
I be hanging around long?

Carolyn

Jose

Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

When it's not disabled, does the ability to control the status bar
extend to displaying a lock icon despite the actual secure status of the
website?

Jose

Evertjan.

Stewart Gordon wrote on 30 mrt 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
And most browsers have the option to disable JavaScript. But it doesn't
stop thousands, maybe millions, of websites from using it.

True.

However,
as IE7 seems to have the use of the window.status by script disabled,
we should get used to that, IMHO.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Stewart Gordon quothed:
And most browsers have the option to disable JavaScript. But it doesn't
stop thousands, maybe millions, of websites from using it.

Yep. Probably mostly newbies, though. Hell, the kids today like
<cringe>rap</cringe>.

Dan

The said:
How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
requires JavaScript. Thanks.

I don't use IE; I use a *decent* browser instead. But it's still got a
status bar, though I've set the preferences to disable scripts
tinkering with it.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

The Numerator wrote :
How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
requires JavaScript. Thanks.

The default value in all modern browsers (Firefox 1.x, Safari, Seamonkey
1.x, Internet Explorer 7 beta 2, Opera 9, etc.) is to disable the
ability of scripters for modifying the status bar text ... for now
obvious security reasons (anti-phishing).

Tools/Internet Options.../Security tab/Choose Internet Zone and Custom
Level... button/Scripting category/Allow status bar update via script
is disabled by default in Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 (build 5335.5
released on March 20th 2006).

Removing the status in IE 7 is also impossible.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Note_on_status_bar

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/doc...on_security_issues_of_the_status_bar_presence

What you're trying to do (edit the status bar text with custom text)
never was recommendable and all major browser manufacturers of modern
browsers understood and agreed to promote respect of users' rights and
to promote the first and only purpose of the status bar to begin with:
show reliable and unaltered notifications to the user about http
connection, hypertext resource location, download progress bar,
encryption/secure connection info with SSL connection (displaying a
yellow padlock icon), internet/security zone icons, privacy
policy/cookie icon, etc.

In Internet Explorer 7, "The status bar will be on by default and is
20-25 pixels in height. (...)"
quote from Fine-Tune Your Web Site for Windows XP Service Pack 2,
Browser Window Restrictions in XP SP2

"Script-initiated windows will be displayed fully, with the
Internet Explorer title bar and status bar. (...)"
Script management of Internet Explorer status bar
Detailed description
Internet Explorer has been modified to not turn off the status bar
for any windows. The status bar is always visible for all Internet
Explorer windows. (...)"

Gérard