  1. How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    The Numerator, Mar 30, 2006

  2. In alt.html, The Numerator wrote:

    > How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    That is part of my browser, not your page. Please don't attempt to
    modify it. Thanks.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 30, 2006

  3. The Numerator

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    It's all over the internet, just Google "how to modify the status bar":

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="how to modify the status bar"
    &btnG=Google+Search

    saz, Mar 30, 2006
  4. The Numerator

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, The Numerator quothed:

    > How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, The Numerator quothed:
    >
    >> How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    >> bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    >> requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    > Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

    And most browsers have the option to disable JavaScript. But it doesn't
    stop thousands, maybe millions, of websites from using it.

    Stewart.

    --
    -----BEGIN META GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 1

    the 'group where everyone may benefit.

    Stewart Gordon, Mar 30, 2006
  6. The Numerator wrote:

    > How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    I don't know how to change it, but I am sure google can give you many links
    to appropriate information.

    Before you do however, ask yourself why you want to? Does your answer
    conflict with my browser disabling your ability to control my status bar?
    Will I miss out on important information from your site? If so, then will
    I be hanging around long?

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 30, 2006
  7. The Numerator

    Jose Guest

    > Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

    When it's not disabled, does the ability to control the status bar
    extend to displaying a lock icon despite the actual secure status of the
    website?

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Mar 30, 2006
  8. The Numerator

    Evertjan. Guest

    Stewart Gordon wrote on 30 mrt 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> With neither quill nor qualm, The Numerator quothed:
    >>
    >>> How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    >>> bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    >>> requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    >> Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

    > And most browsers have the option to disable JavaScript. But it doesn't
    > stop thousands, maybe millions, of websites from using it.

    True.

    However,
    as IE7 seems to have the use of the window.status by script disabled,
    we should get used to that, IMHO.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Mar 30, 2006
  9. The Numerator

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Stewart Gordon quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, The Numerator quothed:
    > >
    > >> How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > >> bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > >> requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    > > Most modern browsers have the option to ignore statusbar modification.

    > And most browsers have the option to disable JavaScript. But it doesn't
    > stop thousands, maybe millions, of websites from using it.

    Yep. Probably mostly newbies, though. Hell, the kids today like
    <cringe>rap</cringe>.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  10. The Numerator

    Dan Guest

    The Numerator wrote:
    > How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    I don't use IE; I use a *decent* browser instead. But it's still got a
    status bar, though I've set the preferences to disable scripts
    tinkering with it.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Mar 31, 2006
  11. The Numerator wrote :
    > How do you modify the status bar? (The status bar is the bar on the
    > bottom in IE. It should read "Done" now.) I'm pretty sure, this
    > requires JavaScript. Thanks.

    The default value in all modern browsers (Firefox 1.x, Safari, Seamonkey
    1.x, Internet Explorer 7 beta 2, Opera 9, etc.) is to disable the
    ability of scripters for modifying the status bar text ... for now
    obvious security reasons (anti-phishing).

    Tools/Internet Options.../Security tab/Choose Internet Zone and Custom
    Level... button/Scripting category/Allow status bar update via script
    is disabled by default in Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 (build 5335.5
    released on March 20th 2006).

    Removing the status in IE 7 is also impossible.

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Note_on_status_bar

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/doc...on_security_issues_of_the_status_bar_presence

    What you're trying to do (edit the status bar text with custom text)
    never was recommendable and all major browser manufacturers of modern
    browsers understood and agreed to promote respect of users' rights and
    to promote the first and only purpose of the status bar to begin with:
    show reliable and unaltered notifications to the user about http
    connection, hypertext resource location, download progress bar,
    encryption/secure connection info with SSL connection (displaying a
    yellow padlock icon), internet/security zone icons, privacy
    policy/cookie icon, etc.

    In Internet Explorer 7, "The status bar will be on by default and is
    20-25 pixels in height. (...)"
    quote from Fine-Tune Your Web Site for Windows XP Service Pack 2,
    Browser Window Restrictions in XP SP2

    "Script-initiated windows will be displayed fully, with the
    Internet Explorer title bar and status bar. (...)"
    Script management of Internet Explorer status bar
    Detailed description
    Internet Explorer has been modified to not turn off the status bar
    for any windows. The status bar is always visible for all Internet
    Explorer windows. (...)"

    GĂ©rard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Mar 31, 2006