  1. Thomas Mann

    Thomas Mann Guest

    How can I withdraw information from the status line ?

    Thomas Mann, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Thomas Mann wrote:

    > How can I withdraw information from the status line ?

    The status bar is there for the benefit of the user. Hiding the information
    in it is a stupid idea, and even putting your own status information there
    is usually ill advised (as there are normally better ways to do it).

    Any information the browser displays in the status bar is available to the
    user through other techniques, although not as convenient for the user, and
    most browsers include features to disable the ability of JavaScript to
    interfere with status information without altering any other JavaScript
    feature. So you can't depend on being able to change it anyway.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Mar 2, 2004

  3. > How can I withdraw information from the status line ?

    Add the following to your site.

    <script>
    window.defaultStatus = "This is a message dominating the status bar.";
    </script>

    Martin Johansen, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Martin Johansen wrote:

    >> How can I withdraw information from the status line ?

    > Add the following to your site.
    >
    > <script>

    Missing a type attribute (or a language attribute if you are working in HTML
    3.2)

    > window.defaultStatus = "This is a message dominating the status bar.";

    Won't work under my browser configuration. I think it will get replaced with
    useful status information for any status information would provide other
    then "loading" or "loaded".

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Mar 2, 2004