status message

Stuart

I am hopeing someone can help me out a bit here.

I have been having a bit play around with switching images in a layer. Which
now seems to be working OK.

I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort of
got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work out why!

this is the link to the test page
http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/temp/swtchImg.htm

Also, although I am using the followng line, I do not understand the
reasoning/importance of the "return" in the following line.

onMouseOver="return setMsg('Loch Monar')

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Stuart said:
[...]
I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort
of got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work out
why!

Because Firefox has preferences to work against nonsensical attempts to
cripple the functionality of the user agent by Internet standards-violating
script-kiddies as you are.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Stuart said:
[...]
I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort
of got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work out
why!

Because Firefox has preferences to work against nonsensical
attempts at crippling the functionality of the user agent
by Internet standards-violating script-kiddies as you are.

PointedEars

Stuart

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
Stuart said:
[...]
I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort
of got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work
out
why!

Because Firefox has preferences to work against nonsensical
attempts at crippling the functionality of the user agent
by Internet standards-violating script-kiddies as you are.

PointedEars

You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
address. A GREAT PITY YOU DID NOT KEEP YOUR PROMISE!

And to think you needed to post that sad little reply twice, what a
jerk......

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Stuart said:
You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
address. [...]

Must be the scorefile that "forgot" you when my newsreader crashed recently
(it is Debian _Unstable_ after all).

[x] corrected

Stuart said:
You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
address. [...]

Must be the scorefile that "forgot" you when my newsreader crashed
recently
(it is Debian _Unstable_ after all).

[x] corrected

PointedEars

Brilliant, so with a bit of good luck I will not have to put up with your
sarcastic postings in the future!

Janwillem Borleffs

Stuart said:
I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the
statusbar with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text
instead. I have sort of got it working in IE, but I am failing in
Firefox, and I can't work out why!

Although Spock lost his ability to speak to humans after he saved the
Enterprise, he has a point.

In FireFox, under Extra -> Options -> Webfunctions -> Advanced, you can
allow or disallow scripts to modify the status text.

There is no work around other then to test for it and resort to another way
of displaying your message when access is disabled:

window.status = 'test';
if (!window.status) {
// Do something else
}

JW

Randy Webb

Stuart said:
You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
address. [...]
Must be the scorefile that "forgot" you when my newsreader crashed
recently
(it is Debian _Unstable_ after all).

[x] corrected

PointedEars

Brilliant, so with a bit of good luck I will not have to put up with your
sarcastic postings in the future!

Tell me how you did it please? That way he will kill-file me and then I
can correct his stupid pedantics without having to argue with him.

Stuart

Janwillem Borleffs said:
Although Spock lost his ability to speak to humans after he saved the
Enterprise, he has a point.

In FireFox, under Extra -> Options -> Webfunctions -> Advanced, you can
allow or disallow scripts to modify the status text.

There is no work around other then to test for it and resort to another
way of displaying your message when access is disabled:

window.status = 'test';
if (!window.status) {
// Do something else
}