    Also, although I am using the followng line, I do not understand the
    reasoning/importance of the "return" in the following line.

    onMouseOver="return setMsg('Loch Monar')

    Stuart, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Stuart <> wrote:
    ^^^
    > [...]
    > I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
    > with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort
    > of got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work out
    > why!

    Because Firefox has preferences to work against nonsensical attempts to
    cripple the functionality of the user agent by Internet standards-violating
    script-kiddies as you are.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Stuart <> wrote:
    ^^^
    > [...]
    > I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
    > with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort
    > of got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work out
    > why!

    Because Firefox has preferences to work against nonsensical
    attempts at crippling the functionality of the user agent

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message
    > Stuart <> wrote:
    > ^^^
    >> [...]
    >> I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the statusbar
    >> with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text instead. I have sort
    >> of got it working in IE, but I am failing in Firefox, and I can't work
    >> out
    >> why!

    > Because Firefox has preferences to work against nonsensical
    > attempts at crippling the functionality of the user agent
    > by Internet standards-violating script-kiddies as you are.
    >

    > PointedEars

    You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
    reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
    address. A GREAT PITY YOU DID NOT KEEP YOUR PROMISE!

    And to think you needed to post that sad little reply twice, what a
    jerk......

    Stuart, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Stuart wrote:

    > You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
    > reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
    > address. [...]

    Must be the scorefile that "forgot" you when my newsreader crashed recently
    (it is Debian _Unstable_ after all).

    [x] corrected

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Stuart

    > Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
    >> reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
    >> address. [...]

    > Must be the scorefile that "forgot" you when my newsreader crashed
    > recently
    > (it is Debian _Unstable_ after all).
    >
    > [x] corrected
    >

    > PointedEars

    Brilliant, so with a bit of good luck I will not have to put up with your
    sarcastic postings in the future!

    Stuart, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Stuart wrote:
    > I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the
    > statusbar with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text
    > instead. I have sort of got it working in IE, but I am failing in
    > Firefox, and I can't work out why!

    Although Spock lost his ability to speak to humans after he saved the
    Enterprise, he has a point.

    In FireFox, under Extra -> Options -> Webfunctions -> Advanced, you can
    allow or disallow scripts to modify the status text.

    There is no work around other then to test for it and resort to another way
    of displaying your message when access is disabled:

    window.status = 'test';
    if (!window.status) {
    // Do something else
    }

    JW

    Janwillem Borleffs, Feb 13, 2006
  8. Stuart

    Randy Webb Guest

    Stuart said the following on 2/12/2006 5:07 PM:
    > "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message
    >> Stuart wrote:
    >>
    >>> You promised me the last time I posted to this group that you would not
    >>> reply to any of my posts on the grounds that I did not display my email
    >>> address. [...]

    >> Must be the scorefile that "forgot" you when my newsreader crashed
    >> recently
    >> (it is Debian _Unstable_ after all).
    >>
    >> [x] corrected
    >>

    >> PointedEars

    > Brilliant, so with a bit of good luck I will not have to put up with your
    > sarcastic postings in the future!

    Tell me how you did it please? That way he will kill-file me and then I
    can correct his stupid pedantics without having to argue with him.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Feb 14, 2006
  9. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Janwillem Borleffs" <> wrote in message
    > Stuart wrote:
    >> I have tried to hide the Javascript message that appears in the
    >> statusbar with onMouseOver / Out events to display some text
    >> instead. I have sort of got it working in IE, but I am failing in
    >> Firefox, and I can't work out why!

    > Although Spock lost his ability to speak to humans after he saved the
    > Enterprise, he has a point.
    >
    > In FireFox, under Extra -> Options -> Webfunctions -> Advanced, you can
    > allow or disallow scripts to modify the status text.
    >
    > There is no work around other then to test for it and resort to another
    > way of displaying your message when access is disabled:
    >
    > window.status = 'test';
    > if (!window.status) {
    > // Do something else
    > }