    What is the market doing ?

    fr gr
    Erik

    Osiris, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Osiris

    CJM Guest

    <Osiris> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm looking at C# and ASP .NET these days.
    > Visual Sudio 2005 looks like a neat dev. env.
    > But before committing, I would like to know more about the current
    > status of these tools.
    > I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.
    > And more providers do not...
    > PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
    > facilities, does it ?
    > What is the status of the language wars these days ?
    > ASP is still the way to go ?
    > What is the market doing ?
    >
    > fr gr
    > Erik

    There is no way to go... It's about choices.

    PHP is very capable, and is available on *nix & windows servers, but isn't
    quite as capable (in some areas) as ASP.NET. But ASP.NET (currently) only
    runs on windows servers (though there is work underway to allow .NET to work
    under *nix). Both technologies are very current.

    It also depends on what your background is, what you will be trying to
    achieve and where you will be wanting to achieve it.

    Note: You asked this question on an ASP Classic NG, so it's off-topic from
    the start. But it's also worth noting that asking the question in a PHP or
    ..NET NG is going to get you two polarised answers. PHP'ers are hardly going
    to advocate .NET, are they? Also asking what is 'best' is very subjective.
    Maybe you should decide what is important to you, and ask how these
    technologies meet those needs, and then *you* decide what is best for you.

    CJM

    CJM, Jul 5, 2006

  3. Osiris

    Osiris Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:24:22 +0100, "CJM" <>
    wrote:

    ><Osiris> wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm looking at C# and ASP .NET these days.
    >> Visual Sudio 2005 looks like a neat dev. env.
    >> But before committing, I would like to know more about the current
    >> status of these tools.
    >> I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.
    >> And more providers do not...
    >> PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
    >> facilities, does it ?
    >> What is the status of the language wars these days ?
    >> ASP is still the way to go ?
    >> What is the market doing ?
    >>
    >> fr gr
    >> Erik
    >>

    >There is no way to go... It's about choices.

    Yes, ofcourse. And I plan to make mine. But I do not want to leave it
    entirely to intuitions. Some "market analysis" must be the basis...

    >PHP is very capable, and is available on *nix & windows servers, but isn't
    >quite as capable (in some areas) as ASP.NET. But ASP.NET (currently) only
    >runs on windows servers (though there is work underway to allow .NET to work
    >under *nix). Both technologies are very current.

    So I have to design for the server I have/choose... Oh boy: the
    VHS/Betamax situation all over ?

    >It also depends on what your background is, what you will be trying to
    >achieve and where you will be wanting to achieve it.
    >
    >Note: You asked this question on an ASP Classic NG, so it's off-topic from
    >the start.

    Ah, ok... new to me :)

    > But it's also worth noting that asking the question in a PHP or
    >.NET NG is going to get you two polarised answers.

    of course it is. But I can read between those lines. Filter out the
    "religious" arguments. I run around in ICT for quite some time now....

    > PHP'ers are hardly going
    >to advocate .NET, are they? Also asking what is 'best' is very subjective.
    >Maybe you should decide what is important to you, and ask how these
    >technologies meet those needs, and then *you* decide what is best for you.

    of course. And find out what course the rest of the world is taking.

    >CJM

    Thnx
    Erik

    Osiris, Jul 5, 2006
  4. Osiris

    CJM Guest

    <Osiris> wrote in message news:...

    > So I have to design for the server I have/choose... Oh boy: the
    > VHS/Betamax situation all over ?

    Not at all. Both are thriving technologies and both will be around for the
    forseeable future. You don't have to permanently side with one or the
    other...

    >> But it's also worth noting that asking the question in a PHP or
    >>.NET NG is going to get you two polarised answers.

    > of course it is. But I can read between those lines. Filter out the
    > "religious" arguments. I run around in ICT for quite some time now....

    How can you know which arguments are subjective and which are objective?

    >> PHP'ers are hardly going
    >>to advocate .NET, are they? Also asking what is 'best' is very subjective.
    >>Maybe you should decide what is important to you, and ask how these
    >>technologies meet those needs, and then *you* decide what is best for you.

    > of course. And find out what course the rest of the world is taking.

    The rest of the world isn't doing one thing only, and more importantly, the
    rest of the world isn't you!

    CJM, Jul 5, 2006
  5. Osiris

    Rob Meade Guest

    "CJM" wrote ...

    > There is no way to go... It's about choices.

    "Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still
    have broken it if I hadn't said anything?"

    How very Matrix of you ;o)

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Jul 5, 2006
  6. Osiris

    CJM Guest

    lol... I suppose it is...

    "..there is no spoon"

    CJM, Jul 6, 2006
  7. Osiris

    Osiris Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:11:38 +0100, "CJM" <>
    wrote:

    ><Osiris> wrote in message news:...
    >>>>

    >> So I have to design for the server I have/choose... Oh boy: the
    >> VHS/Betamax situation all over ?
    >>

    >Not at all. Both are thriving technologies and both will be around for the
    >forseeable future. You don't have to permanently side with one or the
    >other...
    >

    >>> But it's also worth noting that asking the question in a PHP or
    >>>.NET NG is going to get you two polarised answers.

    >> of course it is. But I can read between those lines. Filter out the
    >> "religious" arguments. I run around in ICT for quite some time now....
    >>

    >How can you know which arguments are subjective and which are objective?

    Ah, now we are getting philosophical :).... my field of study for the
    last 2 years...
    As gonna-be-philosopher, I have more questions than answers:
    1: how do we know anything ?
    2: is the difference relevant in this case ?
    3: if it is, why would one kind be preferable above the other ?
    4: what would the object be here ?

    >>> PHP'ers are hardly going
    >>>to advocate .NET, are they? Also asking what is 'best' is very subjective.
    >>>Maybe you should decide what is important to you, and ask how these
    >>>technologies meet those needs, and then *you* decide what is best for you.

    >> of course. And find out what course the rest of the world is taking.
    >>

    >The rest of the world isn't doing one thing only, and more importantly, the
    >rest of the world isn't you!

    Indeed it is not me, but I do exist both as an individual and as a
    member of society. In that last capacity, I cannot ignore the
    direction "the world" is taking, because of the risk of solipsism.

    I'm currently working on a paper on decision-making in organizations.
    Much is wrritten on this subject. Many BIG, multi-billion-euro
    decisions are made not on the basis of "objective arguments", but on
    intuition, subjectivity, (educated) guesswork even (eg. read
    Mintzberg, Herbert Simon).
    Which , for a mechanical/software engineer as myself, is quite an
    eye-opener.

    Osiris, Jul 6, 2006
  8. Osiris

    Rob Meade Guest