status of ASP .NET

Osiris

I'm looking at C# and ASP .NET these days.
Visual Sudio 2005 looks like a neat dev. env.
But before committing, I would like to know more about the current
status of these tools.
I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.
And more providers do not...
PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
facilities, does it ?
What is the status of the language wars these days ?
ASP is still the way to go ?
What is the market doing ?

fr gr
Erik

CJM

I'm looking at C# and ASP .NET these days.
Visual Sudio 2005 looks like a neat dev. env.
But before committing, I would like to know more about the current
status of these tools.
I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.
And more providers do not...
PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
facilities, does it ?
What is the status of the language wars these days ?
ASP is still the way to go ?
What is the market doing ?

fr gr
Erik

There is no way to go... It's about choices.

PHP is very capable, and is available on *nix & windows servers, but isn't
quite as capable (in some areas) as ASP.NET. But ASP.NET (currently) only
runs on windows servers (though there is work underway to allow .NET to work
under *nix). Both technologies are very current.

It also depends on what your background is, what you will be trying to
achieve and where you will be wanting to achieve it.

Note: You asked this question on an ASP Classic NG, so it's off-topic from
the start. But it's also worth noting that asking the question in a PHP or
..NET NG is going to get you two polarised answers. PHP'ers are hardly going
to advocate .NET, are they? Also asking what is 'best' is very subjective.
Maybe you should decide what is important to you, and ask how these
technologies meet those needs, and then *you* decide what is best for you.

CJM

Osiris

There is no way to go... It's about choices.

Yes, ofcourse. And I plan to make mine. But I do not want to leave it
entirely to intuitions. Some "market analysis" must be the basis...
PHP is very capable, and is available on *nix & windows servers, but isn't
quite as capable (in some areas) as ASP.NET. But ASP.NET (currently) only
runs on windows servers (though there is work underway to allow .NET to work
under *nix). Both technologies are very current.

So I have to design for the server I have/choose... Oh boy: the
VHS/Betamax situation all over ?
It also depends on what your background is, what you will be trying to
achieve and where you will be wanting to achieve it.

Note: You asked this question on an ASP Classic NG, so it's off-topic from
the start.

Ah, ok... new to me :)
But it's also worth noting that asking the question in a PHP or
.NET NG is going to get you two polarised answers.

of course it is. But I can read between those lines. Filter out the
"religious" arguments. I run around in ICT for quite some time now....
PHP'ers are hardly going
to advocate .NET, are they? Also asking what is 'best' is very subjective.
Maybe you should decide what is important to you, and ask how these
technologies meet those needs, and then *you* decide what is best for you.

of course. And find out what course the rest of the world is taking.

Thnx
Erik

CJM

So I have to design for the server I have/choose... Oh boy: the
VHS/Betamax situation all over ?

Not at all. Both are thriving technologies and both will be around for the
forseeable future. You don't have to permanently side with one or the
other...
of course it is. But I can read between those lines. Filter out the
"religious" arguments. I run around in ICT for quite some time now....

How can you know which arguments are subjective and which are objective?
of course. And find out what course the rest of the world is taking.

The rest of the world isn't doing one thing only, and more importantly, the
rest of the world isn't you!

Rob Meade

There is no way to go... It's about choices.

"Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still
have broken it if I hadn't said anything?"

How very Matrix of you ;o)

Rob

Osiris

Not at all. Both are thriving technologies and both will be around for the
forseeable future. You don't have to permanently side with one or the
other...

How can you know which arguments are subjective and which are objective?

Ah, now we are getting philosophical :).... my field of study for the
last 2 years...
As gonna-be-philosopher, I have more questions than answers:
1: how do we know anything ?
2: is the difference relevant in this case ?
3: if it is, why would one kind be preferable above the other ?
4: what would the object be here ?
The rest of the world isn't doing one thing only, and more importantly, the
rest of the world isn't you!
Indeed it is not me, but I do exist both as an individual and as a
member of society. In that last capacity, I cannot ignore the
direction "the world" is taking, because of the risk of solipsism.

I'm currently working on a paper on decision-making in organizations.
Much is wrritten on this subject. Many BIG, multi-billion-euro
decisions are made not on the basis of "objective arguments", but on
intuition, subjectivity, (educated) guesswork even (eg. read
Mintzberg, Herbert Simon).
Which , for a mechanical/software engineer as myself, is quite an
eye-opener.