    be submitted to the IEEE for standard approval? If so, based on
    experience, when will the IEEE approve this updated IEEE-1076?

    regards,

    reuven, Jul 7, 2006

  2. reuven

    David Bishop Guest

    reuven wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I noticed that Peter Ashenden submitted a document titled
    > P1076-2006-D3.0 on the accellera web site . Is this document going to
    > be submitted to the IEEE for standard approval? If so, based on
    > experience, when will the IEEE approve this updated IEEE-1076?

    That's the plan. We still have a few small things to work out, but this
    seems to be the working document.

    I'm building a vhdl-93 compatible version of all of the new packages
    which I will be posting soon.

    David Bishop, Jul 8, 2006

  3. reuven

    reuven Guest

    David,

    Thanks for the quick response and i hope to try the 93 compatible
    packages as soon as they are available. Can you give a ballpark
    estimate on when this will become an official standard and when the EDA
    companies ( especially Modeltech , this is not an endorsement of this
    tool) will add support into their tools?

    regards,

    reuven, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Hi All!

    It just so happens that the Accellera Board approved P1076-2006 D3.0 on
    26 July, 2006 at DAC. So, in a way, it is now official, but only as an
    Accellera standard. We (the Accellera VHDL Technical Committee) will be
    working with the IEEE to determine when to move it through the IEEE
    process. Since there are a lot of new and fairly complicate extensions,
    it is felt that a trial implementation period might be advisable.

    Here is just a small sampling of the new features:
    PSL integration
    IP Protection mechanisms
    generic packages
    unary functions
    expressions on in mode ports
    fixed and floating point packages

    By the way, there is also a P1076c-2006 D2.4a (also Accellera approved)
    that has already been released to the IEEE, but it only integrates VHPI.

    As to when will vendors implement the new features, that depends on you,
    the users of VHDL. Call up your vendor and express your interest in the
    new features and some kind of priority.

    Cheers,
    Lance Thompson
    IBM, Senior Engineer
    Accellera VHDL Technical Committee, Chairman

    Lance Thompson, Jul 30, 2006