Status of Python / Platform-specific support ??

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Weholt, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I've been using Python on both Windows 2000 and Linux for some time now. On
    Windows I've used PythonWin as editor, Emacs on Linux. This has been working
    ok so far. Now as Python will be a part of Mac OS X Panther will this affect
    Pythons support for platform-specific modules in a big way? I'm not a
    Mac-expert, but OS X is basically a Unix-clone as base with a Apple-GUI on
    top, right? So most *nix apps will compile and run nicely on that platform?
    With Python as an integrated part of the system, I'd be seriously thinking
    about changing platform.

    Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current status is for Python on Mac,
    as for support, IDEs etc. ? Is Mac shaping up to be the best platform for
    Python development and python lovers in general, or is Mac just catching up
    to Linux?

    Any thoughts on platform benefits for python developers; Win32 vs. Linux vs.
    Mac? Drawbacks?

    Best regards,
    Thomas W

    Thomas Weholt, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Thomas Weholt

    Aahz Guest

    In article <iR1Oa.11255$>,
    Thomas Weholt <> wrote:

    >I've been using Python on both Windows 2000 and Linux for some time
    >now. On Windows I've used PythonWin as editor, Emacs on Linux. This
    >has been working ok so far. Now as Python will be a part of Mac OS X
    >Panther will this affect Pythons support for platform-specific modules
    >in a big way? I'm not a Mac-expert, but OS X is basically a Unix-clone
    >as base with a Apple-GUI on top, right? So most *nix apps will compile
    >and run nicely on that platform? With Python as an integrated part of
    >the system, I'd be seriously thinking about changing platform.
    >
    >Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current status is for Python
    >on Mac, as for support, IDEs etc. ? Is Mac shaping up to be the best
    >platform for Python development and python lovers in general, or is Mac
    >just catching up to Linux?

    That's tough to answer. For starters, Python 2.2 is already part of
    10.2, but it's somewhat crippled (no Tkinter, and missing the critical
    bugfixes of 2.2.1 and 2.2.2). Many Unix apps do compile easily, but
    I've had trouble with a couple that aren't part of the Fink project (xli
    and lrz/lsz). There are binary installers available for the Mac (see
    the download pages on python.org).

    I've been using Python on a Mac for more than a year now, because I
    decided to get an iBook as my laptop, but my primary system is still a
    Linux box, and I'm happier with that.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "Not everything in life has a clue in front of it...." --JMS

    Aahz, Jul 7, 2003

  3. In article <beaebg$drg$>, Aahz <> wrote:
    >In article <iR1Oa.11255$>,
    >Thomas Weholt <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I've been using Python on both Windows 2000 and Linux for some time
    >>now. On Windows I've used PythonWin as editor, Emacs on Linux. This
    >>has been working ok so far. Now as Python will be a part of Mac OS X
    >>Panther will this affect Pythons support for platform-specific modules
    >>in a big way? I'm not a Mac-expert, but OS X is basically a Unix-clone
    >>as base with a Apple-GUI on top, right? So most *nix apps will compile
    >>and run nicely on that platform? With Python as an integrated part of
    >>the system, I'd be seriously thinking about changing platform.
    >>
    >>Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current status is for Python
    >>on Mac, as for support, IDEs etc. ? Is Mac shaping up to be the best
    >>platform for Python development and python lovers in general, or is Mac
    >>just catching up to Linux?

    >That's tough to answer. For starters, Python 2.2 is already part of
    >10.2, but it's somewhat crippled (no Tkinter, and missing the critical
    >bugfixes of 2.2.1 and 2.2.2). Many Unix apps do compile easily, but
    >I've had trouble with a couple that aren't part of the Fink project (xli
    >and lrz/lsz). There are binary installers available for the Mac (see
    >the download pages on python.org).
    >
    >I've been using Python on a Mac for more than a year now, because I
    >decided to get an iBook as my laptop, but my primary system is still a
    >Linux box, and I'm happier with that.

    .
    .
    .
    Me, too.

    'Bout two weeks ago, I picked up a PowerBook as my daily
    desktop. There's a LOT I like about it. I still retreat
    to Linux or WinNT for Tkinter work, or the latest Python
    builds. Eventually I'll figure out enough about my new
    home to make Tkinter work here, too.

    'Figured out a mpack/munpack replacement, Aahz?

    Anyway, no, I don't think anyone can imagine MacOS to be
    the most natural Python platform, but it's getting closer.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Jul 7, 2003