Status of Ruby<->Java Interfaces

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jeff, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Java program that I'd like to access with Ruby, and I'm
    looking for the 'right tool for the job'. The Java program is an API
    collection of classes that implement a network/socket protocol, and
    I'd like to find a way to have Ruby make the calls, e.g.
    Java:
    public class MySocket {
    private Socket m_socket; // the socket
    private DataOutputStream m_dos; // the socket
    output stream
    /////more stuff here....
    private void send( String str) throws IOException {
    m_dos.write( str.getBytes() );
    m_dos.write( EOL);

    and I'd like to be able to do something like:
    Ruby:
    mysock=Java.Class.MySockect.new (or something along these lines)
    mysock.send("Hello there")

    So what is the state of the world with the various options that exist
    in Ruby for this sort of thing? I've had a brief look at rjni, rjava
    and rjb. Each of which seem to be quite 'alpha'. Any comments,
    suggestions on which is best? Any other options in terms of design?
    Will these work with network/socket classes in Java?

    Thanks in advance!
    Jeff
    Jeff, Oct 7, 2004

  2. On Oct 7, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Jeff wrote:

    > So what is the state of the world with the various options that exist
    > in Ruby for this sort of thing? I've had a brief look at rjni, rjava
    > and rjb. Each of which seem to be quite 'alpha'. Any comments,
    > suggestions on which is best? Any other options in terms of design?
    > Will these work with network/socket classes in Java?

    I have know experience with any Java <-> Ruby bridges, but sine I know
    it exists and I didn't see you mention it, have you checked out JRuby?
    Just a thought.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Oct 7, 2004

  3. On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 06:24:42AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Jeff wrote:
    >
    > >So what is the state of the world with the various options that exist
    > >in Ruby for this sort of thing? I've had a brief look at rjni, rjava
    > >and rjb.

    rjb is the only one actively developed atm., so it's probably the best
    option.

    I stopped working on rjni when I discovered that the JVM was interacting
    with the signals ruby uses to implement threads (so that Ruby threads
    wouldn't work) and realized that the non-reentrancy of ruby 1.x made
    this all quite hard...

    > Each of which seem to be quite 'alpha'. Any comments,
    > >suggestions on which is best? Any other options in terms of design?
    > >Will these work with network/socket classes in Java?

    The main problem would be when you have multiple Java threads; that's
    hard to handle in 1.x, at least if you're using JNI directly.

    --
    Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
    batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com
    Mauricio Fernández, Oct 7, 2004
  4. On 10/7/2004 4:44 PM, Jeff wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Java program that I'd like to access with Ruby, and I'm
    > looking for the 'right tool for the job'. The Java program is an API
    > collection of classes that implement a network/socket protocol, and
    > I'd like to find a way to have Ruby make the calls, e.g.

    Is there any particular reason you can't use the ruby sockets interface
    in this case?

    Randy.
    Randy W. Sims, Oct 8, 2004