Stealing focus: PIL

damonwischik

I'm using the Python Image Library (PIL) for Python 2.4.

If I have an image and I show it
from PIL import Image
im = Image.new('RGB',100,100)
im.show()
then the output window steals focus. It's very handy to use
an image to show the progress of execution for my program,
but the computer is unusable when focus keeps on being stolen
every few seconds. How can I prevent Image.show() from stealing
focus?

Damon.

Fredrik Lundh

I'm using the Python Image Library (PIL) for Python 2.4.

If I have an image and I show it
from PIL import Image
im = Image.new('RGB',100,100)
im.show()
then the output window steals focus. It's very handy to use
an image to show the progress of execution for my program,
but the computer is unusable when focus keeps on being stolen
every few seconds. How can I prevent Image.show() from stealing
focus?

PIL runs an external utility [1] to display the image, so this is more of
a window manager issue than a PIL issue.

</F>

1) "xv" by default, but this may be changed by distributors.